Draining / changing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rusty downstairs radiator and will have to replace this soon.
Because of the corrosion its beginning to very slightly leak from the rusty areas my idea in the short term was to drain the rad empty.
There is a small pipe underneath on the left hand side of the rad which allows you to attach a hose pipe and a little square "tap" that you can turn with a small spanner / monkey wrench. This I did but found that HOT water started to flow through the hose. This confused me as the central heating system is obviously off at the moment so I must be getting water which is going to the taps. It seems that no water is being drained from the rad (as this would at least be dirty and cold)

Basically I need to know how to close off the rad from all water sourse and then drain

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
you turn off the tap at either end of the radiator.

The radiator it self will still be full so you will need to put a bowl & towel under it. the reason you get no water is because the water sometimes gets hot, but you wouldn't get sludge as that is in the radiator, and you could also open the radiators bleed valve to empty the radiator.

There is one word of caution, if you have thermostatic radiator valves they can and do open when it is cold ( i have seen the consequences, it cost the bloke a fortune)

you may also want to see the how to section on this website or easier still click [//www.diynot.com/pages/pl/pl031.php] here [/url]

I think I have a thermostatic valve radiator (its got a big white knob which you turn with numbers on a and a small sign which I think means "frost")
On the right hand side of the rad there is a small white plastic cover which you can remove and underneath a small tap which can only be turned with a monkey wrench (its very small and in the shape similar to a flat head screwdriver - maybe a bit thicker. Do I turn this clockwise to turn off the water?

And how do i turn off the water at the thermostatic valve side?

Thanks for your help so far

Tony

i believe they both turn clock wise (mine do I just checked) so long as you do not get a frost (room gets vey cold) you should be ok, but turn the themostaic valve down too.

If the rad is big it may be best if there are 3 of you, two to hold the rad, and one to hold the doors open when you take the old one outside

Sponsored Links
....so basically what you are saying is turn the thermostatic valve down so it reads zero and that should be enough to stop the water supply into the rad and I will then be able to undo the nuts on each side and remove the rad

Is this correct?

Thanks

Tony

yes, assuming the valve is not jammed (if you read these forums you will see that some times they do)

If you're worried then you could make a temporary blank to the valve with a tap washer trim inside the spare nut onto the TVR valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back