Draining unvented cylinder

does the op know that, water can't come out of the cylinder if air can't get in, so maybe the gate valve is working, just a thought :eek:

Sponsored Links
Snatch it, goowan goowan goowan.

Jackpike's correct about these very often not draining, very often to recharge the vessel you'll find that you need to crack the top nut on the dhw to let air in to allow it to drain.

chucklebrothers.jpg

tony and his latest trainee would have it drained in seconds.

Sponsored Links
Your gate valve should have been operated every month to keep it free...............

Tony

As is done in millions of households up and down the country (and from side to side). Not.

i dont know if this tip is about to bring a curse on me for not passing it on from father to son, but i went to machine mart and bought a wolfcraft pump for £7.63 that accepts ahalf inch hose at each end and you attach a drill to a shaft and bobs your uncle. hose in the cylinder and one outside and you drain it very quickly.
this was a tip i read about on here about 6 or 8 months ago under a heading of useful tools, i think

Thanks for the replies.
Hopefully I can leave this until after my holiday.
The problem might just be the thermostat so I don't need to drain it to change that but I must get the drain valve sorted as the element is not going to last forever.
The gate valve must be blocked or unscrewed as I have drained this before without problems.

Just out of interest what would one use to backfill with hot air?

If 22mm self cutting taps are in fact available I'll keep looking.

Cheers

Don

Didn't realise when I bought a house that DIY was going to become an illegal activity.
Lucky I didn't mention the 6 mil armored cable going down to the garage.
Still it's better than the overhead 7/029 that was there when I moved in.

you can get 22mm self cutting taps, very useful they are too. I'm assuming this installation comforms to G3 requirements? :rolleyes:

Its easy to say that but where can he actually get one?

DaftyDIY'ers & unvented cylinders.........................Hmmmmmm where's 'watersystems/bigburners' rocket video when you need it??!!!

Oh go on Tony....share, share!!! Perhaps you can tell us in the combustion chamber - the Masonic Lodge of the DIYdoughnuts forum!!!............... ;) ;)

OP, drop a polypipe through the top tapping until it reaches the bottom. Connect hose to other end if pipe not long enough and syphon out the water.

you can get 22mm self cutting taps, very useful they are too. I'm assuming this installation comforms to G3 requirements? :rolleyes:

Its easy to say that but where can he actually get one?

I'm not a shopping guide. I have 2 in my van but I've had them ages cos I re-use them. I wouldn't leave them in because its a dit bodge. Just handy to get out of a situation. I'm not gonna search the net for someone, thats why they invented google. Although tbh in the past I have used 15mm ones, the ones with a screw eachn side. You just need to change the screws for bigger ones and it will do the trick
Now talking of hypocrits....
There is a way to empty your type of cylinder but as thats not generally known about I keep it to myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back