Draught from ceiling cable holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of ways to seal the gap between the ceiling and a lighting fixture. There seems to be some daught coming from many lighting fixture holes that I've worked with.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Talylortwocities, there was insufficient information to say what type of light fitting was installed (hence Sparkwright's additional questions). This could simply have been a pendant fitting with the cabling coming through an old lathe or p/board ceiling. It's up to the original poster to say whether the answers given are appropriate - NOT you.
The name of this site is DIY-NOT, and that name hints it doesn't exist solely for the professionals to slander all others trying to add to a conversation. I bet you're really not much fun in the pub!

Sigh. My comment was meant to indicate that it should not be necessary to glue any light fittings, of any type, to the ceiling.

If there is a draught, or gaps, either the fitting is not properly installed, or it is the wrong type.

Like you, I too await a response from the OP.

Exactly, you shouldn't have to use any sealant anywhere, as there will come a time when the 'fitting' will need to be accessed.

Probably the only time a sealant would be typically used would be on some kind of surface mounted fitting, where the cables emerge from the wall or ceiling into the fitting.

Reasons for this may be for fire proofing, sound proofing, draughts/air test.

Hopefully we will get some answers from omph, but it's taking a while.

Thanks for the responses. I am talking primarily about lights such as the following which don't sit flush with the ceiling or leave a small gap between the bracket and ceiling: https://www.lights.co.uk/naxo-led-ceiling-light-3-000k-ip44.html

Although it is applicable to all lights in one foam or another since ceilings aren't always flat, and they will have small bumps which prevent a proper seal. You could probably fix it with some fire resistant rubber seals but it's not something I have seen other sparks talk about, and in the age of energy efficency it's definately something that may need to be discussed.

Aico alarm bases come fitted with a thin foam sheet on the bottom. I've seen electronics (esp TVs) come packed in (very fragile) bag made of some sort of white foam material in this sheet form. Perhaps a layer or two of that would work ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back