Drawing Pension at 55

Transfer your whole fund to another pension provider and then take 25% of it.

Sponsored Links
the number required changes from time to time, but last time I looked, it was 35 years for the full amount

however

if you were ever contracted-out, they knock off an amount (probably equivalent to 1/35th) from your pension for each contracted out year.

And, even if you pay full NI for extra years, you can't earn the deduction back.

So you might do 30 years full NI, then 5 years contracted out, then 10 years full NI, and they will treat you as if you had only paid (35-5=) 30 years contributions.

I had great difficulty working out the calculation, because it was not included in the estimate.

What do you mean by Contracted out?

the number required changes from time to time, but last time I looked, it was 35 years for the full amount

however

if you were ever contracted-out, they knock off an amount (probably equivalent to 1/35th) from your pension for each contracted out year.

And, even if you pay full NI for extra years, you can't earn the deduction back.

So you might do 30 years full NI, then 5 years contracted out, then 10 years full NI, and they will treat you as if you had only paid (35-5=) 30 years contributions.

I had great difficulty working out the calculation, because it was not included in the estimate.

I'm 65 next weekend. Intend to carry on working as long as I am able to then, when I can't do work for a company for whatever reason, start making things in my workshop to keep me active and my brain functioning.
No pipe and slippers in front of the TV for me thank you.

I will work until I'm 70. I won't have a good pension. But like you I won't be able just to sit around doing nothing.

Sponsored Links

It used to be permitted, if you were employed and had an occupational pension, for your employer to make a contribution to it and deduct, from the National Insurance Contributions, an amount intended to equal that part of NI that went towards the earning related part of the State Pension. This was called "contracting out"

It was alleged by the pension trade that they would invest it more wisely than the State, so that you would get a better pension (and they would make handsome commission, high charges, and profits)

It later became apparent that the reliability of the State Pension was more valuable than the extravagant promises of the salesmen, and this practice is no longer permitted. Charges and deductions on private pensions can now be capped (at rather a high rate) so the punter need not be fleeced so badly.

It was finally abolished in 2016 but I think it mostly fell out of favour in the 1990s, when people found their pension schemes ran short.

When your state pension is calculated, any years that you were Contracted Out are deducted from your contributions record, and the amount of your pension is reduced, and this will be shown on your pension forecast.

Your private or employment pension may or may not have increased enough to match or exceed the state deduction

I used to be in a contracted-out occupational pension scheme, and was not been able to work out if the amount deducted from my forecast was smaller or greater than the amount payable in the private scheme. I transferred out after leaving and have transferred other pensions as well so I can't identify it. I think the so-called flat rate is now about £179 a week. It is not really a flat rate.

Some people get more than that because there were various other state schemes in the past that charged higher NI on higher earnings, specifically to pay additional state pension. Your pension forecast will say if that applies to you.

Last edited:
, although now a much greater chance of dying in the future whilst on an NHS waiting list due to the consequences of said 'virus'...

"More patients are opting to pay for expensive life-saving surgery because of crippling NHS waiting lists,

Tell me about it. I phoned up my GP's surgery to get my right ear syringed. Said they don't do it any more and said I could go to a private hearing company and they will 'micro suction' the wax out for for between £40 to £50 per ear. Don't they know if feckin' dying here???

Robbing b'stards!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back