Drawing Pension at 55

I was contracted out when I joined a company scheme. Many years later people came to the conclusion that if people were in that situation and circa 40 it was best to start contributing to the state pension again. I have no idea if carrying on contributing was even possible when I was contracted out. It just happened.

For people who retire early the state pension is useful. At some point it increases their income. I did and was glad when it arrived.

My company pension was eventually transferred to an insurance company. That way it works in much the same as other schemes - the money is used to purchase a pension. Actuaries decide how much a person should be able to take out of the scheme. What some one gets depends on what various companies are offering. The initial company scheme was dead simple 2/3 of my final salary.

There is nothing to stop some one continuing work when they are retired. Probably a better option than taking money out of a pot in most peoples circumstances. Assuming some one wont want money etc when the do retire is a bit silly IMHO. Life goes on until we are dead. Some younger people did feel that the state wont let them suffer so avoided making any extra payments. ;)Depends on what some one means by suffer. I don't think that is an option now.

Actually due to history they have done a few things that boost state pensions - mostly in the area of how long people have contributed. Having opted out is a tricky one as people may not have been aware that they could carry on if they wanted to but that option may have been added at some point in time.

Sponsored Links
I think I was in one scheme that automatically opted you out but after a while they put us back in and adjusted something at their expense.
Maybe thats why I have 49 years contributions.

Too late. Soft-touch Tory lack of regulation failed to prevent this happening.

We have known for years it was going on.

This is too late for the pensioners who have been fleeced.

https://www.ft.com/content/9fa16e99-d788-4d7b-9787-ad0a9400e373

"The UK’s financial regulator has imposed its first fine on an adviser it described as “seriously incompetent” for retirement savings transfer recommendations to members of the British Steel Pension Scheme. The Financial Conduct Authority announced on Monday that it had fined Geoffrey Edward Armin of Derbyshire-based Retirement and Pension Planning Services (RPPS) £1.3m over the advice given to 422 customers, including 183 BSPS steelworker members."

Sponsored Links
“They are not, in the main, financially sophisticated and would have trusted what they were told,” said Rush, founder and managing director of Echelon Wealthcare. “They don’t know what they don’t know. Those who trusted him [Armin] will have losses that far exceed the Financial Services Compensation Scheme maximum of £85,000.

The problem with financial advice can be money directly to the advisor when some one does what they suggest. It's a pretty common problem.

Has anyone had pension advise from an advisor?
How much should I expect to pay?

Back