Drawing Technican Or Architect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spoken to a few architects today on the phone and from speaking to three only one correctlt answered that double storey extension are pemritted developments

The others wqere certain that a full application was required

I plan to do a double storey rear extension on a detahced house which is inset two metres from the boundary and seven metres from the rear boundary so therefore permitted development

I also plan to convert roof to a loft and add a dormer at the rear. Two hip gables will need to be carried out and I am certain that with the rear double storey extension additional roof volume will be created over the 50 cubic metres

So seperate applications need to be submitted for permitted application and full householder application - It looks like yes which sounds crazy....

Is the order of the applications relevant?

If anyone has reccomendations of architects in London I would be very keen to hear about them

Sponsored Links
Why are you applying for permitted development approval, if its permitted development?

Sponsored Links
You're fortunate to live somewhere in London that isn't a conservation area! And presumably you mean that rear wall of the original house is more than 10m from the back of the property !?!

Last edited:
You're fortunate to live somewhere in London that isn't a conservation area! And presumably you mean that rear wall of the original house is more than 10m from the back of the property !?!
Thought it was 7m for p.d.?

The back of the two-storey extension has to be 7m from the boundary, and can be a maximum of 3m deep. Anything less than 2.5m deep hardly seems worthwhile.

I know I am fortunate which is why I am looking for someone to help draw up simple plans - I know precisely what I want from the rear double storey extension. Can anyone suggest a planner / drawer who drew up the plans and were reasonable in cost? I am having people talking about 3,000 just for simple plans with no structural calcs and no guarantee of success

Whats even more worrying is qualified architects seem to be misguided about permitted development such that two architects told me that ALL double storey extensions required permission and when I tried to explain to him how this was permitted he would not believe it

The second question I have was more around how to submit a loft extension which is not PD as it exceed volume - Do I have to submit this as a separate application?

Edit - There is more then ten metres from the rear boundary

With regards the second question, I'd be a little surprised if your plans really exceed that threshold. Of course, it's possible, but it's a little unususal - are you sure that you're doing the calculation correctly. If you are, then yes, it's a householder application. It's not a 'separate' application, because right now it's the 'only' application - the other works being PD.

You'd be suprised at how many Architects don't know much about planning or building regulations. What normally happens is that the Architect comes up with a pretty design, and then a lowly technician in the office tries to get it to work in with planning regulations and likewise for building regulations.

Anyone who submits plans should be able to give you a very good idea on the chances of it getting planning approval. Not a 100% guarantee, but a very good idea. This is because they should know the local planning policies and what will and wont be acceptable, and should not even be designing or submitting anything that does not meet the local planning policy guide.

so back to the question

1) any suggestions for drawers who also know about planning permission or is it best i find someone from my borough
2) how do I evaluate whether to submit both applications together or one after the other to avoid getting rejected

so back to the question

1) any suggestions for drawers who also know about planning permission or is it best i find someone from my borough
2) how do I evaluate whether to submit both applications together or one after the other to avoid getting rejected

If your proposed scheme is dancing in the gaps of the drafting between pp and pd then you need more than a drawer, and some architects won't be much good either. If I were you I'd find someone with local knowledge and ideally they'll have relationships with the local planning officers.

Spend a day looking at your borough planning site and look for similar schemes where properties are submitting pp and pd for the same property in close proximity (time wise). Ideally properties/schemes with similar characteristics to yours, then you can give them a call.

Last edited:
If your proposed scheme is dancing in the gaps of the drafting between pp and pd then you need more than a drawer, and some architects won't be much good either. If I were you I'd find someone with local knowledge and ideally they'll have relationships with the local planning officers.

Spend a day looking at your borough planning site and look for similar schemes where properties are submitting pp and pd for the same property in close proximity (time wise). Ideally properties/schemes with similar characteristics to yours, then you can give them a call.

Thanks - So what sort of person do I need? I ve looked on the planning application and contacted a few of them but as I said the quality of input from qualified architects is really bad when they do not know the basics of what is permitted development and what is not

The work I am doing is part permitted development and part planning permission required because the loft space will exceed 50 cubic metres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back