Drayton Lifestyle LP522 Boiler Programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new house with a gas bolier controlled by the above programmer.

It works fine most of the time but sometimes we get in and the boiler is on as is the programmer but the lcd screen is blank. It seems as if as though the programmer has failed but turning it off and then back on after a few minutes seems to restore it to health ~ until the next time.

The developer has replaced it twice (although I haven't seen them physically do this so it may still be the original programmer).

My question is have I been unlucky with successive failed programmers or is the something more fundamental going on thats causing the programmer to behave in this rather unreliable way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have seen these go wrong a few times.

Check its correctly seated on the back plate.

Or change it for a programmer of your choice from a different manufacturer, they (mostly) fit on the same backplate so you can swap them over without changing any connections.

Thanks londonboy. I suppose my question is if this has been relaced before is it a recurring problem with the programmer ~ or is there something more fundamental with the wiring?

Obviously dont want to fork out for another programmer only to find that I have the same problem.

Any views welcome

If the programmer has worked then that indicates the wiring would be fine.
Might be best to get a honeywell unit since they seem to be the plumbers unit of choice. They do fail, but I've had 10 years plus out of each of the two I've needed.

Sponsored Links
As chris has stated if there was a fault with the wiring, then the timer wont work full stop.

Fit a honeywell, about £60 and they last a lot longer than the others.

Do you have a cat?

Is there any chewable wiring around the boiler or programmer?

Is it chewed?

Seriously one of my customer's cats chewed the cable to their oil boiler an a regular basis when they were out and tripped both the mcbs, programmer and room thermostat! I was called in 2 or 3 times to sort it out before it as rewired in trunking.

Thanks all - no cat but I have had a response from Drayton the progremmer manufacturer, who thinks its unlikely 3 programmers would have failed and suggest

''It would seem that perhaps you have some sort of electrical interference that is perhaps causing a failure over a period of time. This could as simple as a backfeed from a motorized valve which is not uncommon.

I am only surmising but if the capacitive side of the control circuit was breaking down every time you turn off the unit then the capacitors would discharge. It would then take a period of time to charge up and then you would see a problem again.

It’s a bit like resetting the unit back to square one''

Not sure what this means to be honest - any views appreciated

Thanks

As you haven't seen the programmer being replaced, a more likely situation is that the programmer is faulty, it is the same one that has been there all along, and the person employed to replace it hasn't, because when they arrive they:
1. switch off the power
2. check a few wiring connections
3. switch on
4. the programmer works (for a while)
5. they leave, assuming all is well.

If there are other faults with the wiring, a simple check of voltages on the terminal backplate would identify this.

Thanks Flameport. Is there an easy way for a novice to check the voltages on the terminal backplate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back