Drayton stiff TRV - can't turn off completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can try it.

You never know.

If it was me I would just go for broke. If it breaks you are gonna have to buy a new one anyway.

Ted

Nearly broke my hand trying to turn it off, don't wanna break that damn thing as well - plumbers are more expensive than doctors :LOL:

Will try with oil first then will take it from there

:D Thats because we are more educated.

Sponsored Links
You can try it.

You never know.

If it was me I would just go for broke. If it breaks you are gonna have to buy a new one anyway.

Ted

Tried to remove the head last nite, that ring underneath it too tight, couldn't undo it :mad:
Will go ask neighbours for a proper tool, will a pipe spanner do? And by the way, can I break the pipe trying to unscrew the b****y ring?
Thanks!

Set the trv to 6 before you try and remove the head

Large pair of plyers on the metal ring should twist it off.

Ted

Set the trv to 6 before you try and remove the head

Large pair of plyers on the metal ring should twist it off.

Ted

Tried with pliers last nite, couldn't get proper grip, maybe they weren't big enough
Still scared about breaking the pipe :cry:

Sponsored Links
Are you turning the right way? Anticlockwise when looking down on the top of the head.

Of course I turned the right way :D I think it's been tightened too much and I couldn't get proper grip

By the way, these TRV have a '0' setting, found another one which works

OK, I had a new TRV-4 fitted this summer, and as the heating only came on recently, I now realise it is VERY stiff to turn.

I've taken the head off. The pin springs up and down without problem. The head by itself will turn freely from 6 to *. But replace the head and it will only turn freely from 6 to about 4, i.e. where it shuts off the water flow by depressing the pin. Turning the head further down can take two hands to do, very stiff and jerky. You need to be able to do this as you may want to set a lower temperature for the next day, e.g. set down to *.

I presume there is spring in the head so that as you turn the head further down when the pin is bottomed out, it will compress. I'm assuming that this is jamming. How can it be fixed? I've already tried some WD40 into the head body and worked it. This made no difference.

It's sorted now, managed to get the head off (lots of WD40 and a monkey spanner), it was jammed :cry:
Bought a new one, tried it in the shop first, turned 6 to 0 no problem, fitted to the existing valve, job done!
Still working now! Well done me! :D

"err well done Mr Hailsham and kittedup you mean"

Err, I did the job in the end :D

But many thanks for all the advice!

well hit the thanks button for mr hailsham and kittedup love

ps milk and 2 in mine ;)

I have just found this discussion thread and I seem to have a similar problem of sorts.

I have a radiator with the Drayton rt212 valve.

It had been off for ages (left on the '0' setting). I went to turn it on and could not turn it no matter how hard I tried.

I loosened the screw underneath and removed the plastice head (with the silver screw attached), and as soon as I did this hot water went through the radiator (very quickly), making the remaining section to hot to touch.

Having removed the head I still couldn't turn the top, so it still appears to be stuck in the 'o' position.

What I believe is the pin (brass looking rod sticking up from the valve) does not want to move although I have gently been tapping it with a hammer.

What should I do next? I worry that if I put the head back on which is still stuck I wont be able to turn the radiator off?

Please help (I'm a novice so no jargon please!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back