Drayton stiff TRV - can't turn off completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Just put my central heating on at wknd, noticed that the spare room radiator warmed up whilst at * setting, tried to put TRV back to 0 as I don't use the room, it won't go below the * (very tight). Radiator will heat up OK if at any setting between 1 and 6. I assume TRV is a Drayton because it looks like this

View media item 17364

Any advice would be much appreciated, so many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just put my central heating on at wknd, noticed that the spare room radiator warmed up whilst at * setting, tried to put TRV back to 0 as I don't use the room, it won't go below the * (very tight). Radiator will heat up OK if at any setting between 1 and 6. I assume TRV is a Drayton because it looks like this.
If it is like your pic it is the Drayton RT212. This valve does not have an OFF (0) setting; the lowest is the frost position (*), which is about 8°C. The numbers 1-6 represent temperatures of approx 12-29°C. I would just leave it on the frost setting. If you ever need to turn the rad off completely, you will need a "decorators cap". One is supplied with each valve, but you can get them free from Drayton.

Just put my central heating on at wknd, noticed that the spare room radiator warmed up whilst at * setting, tried to put TRV back to 0 as I don't use the room, it won't go below the * (very tight). Radiator will heat up OK if at any setting between 1 and 6. I assume TRV is a Drayton because it looks like this.
If it is like your pic it is the Drayton RT212. This valve does not have an OFF (0) setting; the lowest is the frost position (*), which is about 8°C. The numbers 1-6 represent temperatures of approx 12-29°C. I would just leave it on the frost setting. If you ever need to turn the rad off completely, you will need a "decorators cap". One is supplied with each valve, but you can get them free from Drayton.

Thanks for your reply,

I do apologise for the daft question, but why has the radiator come off this year if I haven't changed the setting from last year when it stayed completely cold (and my oh my what a winter that was!)? :cry:
If i try some WD40 around the knob (without removing it from the valve)will it help loosen up?

If I try some WD40 around the knob (without removing it from the valve)will it help loosen up?
That won't do anything.

Turn the valve to max setting, then remove the top by turning large knurled nut underneath anticlockwise - no water will come out. ;)

You will then see the valve pin sticking out of the black insert. This pin should press down easily and then spring up when released. If it is stiff, try a very little WD40. Replace top.

Pins can stick if they stay in the same position all the time, so it might be worth checking your other TRVs.

Sponsored Links
If I try some WD40 around the knob (without removing it from the valve)will it help loosen up?
That won't do anything.

Turn the valve to max setting, then remove the top by turning large knurled nut underneath anticlockwise - no water will come out. ;)

You will then see the valve pin sticking out of the black insert. This pin should press down easily and then spring up when released. If it is stiff, try a very little WD40. Replace top.

Pins can stick if they stay in the same position all the time, so it might be worth checking your other TRVs.

Hi,

I thought that if the pin was stuck radiator wouldn't heat at all, but it works fine between 1 and 6 :(

it could be stuck open. Take the top of and check it springs up and down. If not, tap it lightly with a small pin hammer or similar until it frees. It may take some persistence but don't pull it up or wiggle it.

I thought that if the pin was stuck radiator wouldn't heat at all, but it works fine between 1 and 6 :(
The pin can stick in any position, so the valve could be fully closed, fully open or anywhere between.

Are you sure it is working properly on the different numbers, i.e on 1 the room temperature is maintained at 12°C, on 4 about 20°C etc?

Don't try forcing the valve past the * position.

If it is like your pic it is the Drayton RT212. This valve does not have an OFF (0) setting; the lowest is the frost position (*)

I don't want to step on anyones toes here but the 212's do go all the way to 0- and hence off.

I would imagine if the room is very cold at the moment it is still operating on the frost setting.

Ted

If it is like your pic it is the Drayton RT212. This valve does not have an OFF (0) setting; the lowest is the frost position (*)

I don't want to step on anyones toes here but the 212's do go all the way to 0- and hence off.

I would imagine if the room is very cold at the moment it is still operating on the frost setting.

Ted

Hi Ted,

To be honest I thought it would have a '0' setting, question is how do I get there? Any ideas on what might be wrong? :LOL:

If it is really stiff then you are probably better off getting a new head. If you try using grips on it you run the risk of breaking it.

If you just want the rad off and never on use get a decorators cap as mentioned above.

Ted

If it is really stiff then you are probably better off getting a new head. If you try using grips on it you run the risk of breaking it.

If you just want the rad off and never on use get a decorators cap as mentioned above.

Ted

So you think nothing wrong with the valve itself, just the knob? Can I get a spare or do I have to buy a complete valve? (sorry for daft questions)

If when you take the head off the pin is moving up and down freely then the body is probably ok.

To be honest it is probably worth buying the whole thing, trying the head first then if it doesn't work change the body.

Ted

If when you take the head off the pin is moving up and down freely then the body is probably ok.

To be honest it is probably worth buying the whole thing, trying the head first then if it doesn't work change the body.

Ted

If body ok will WD40 do any good to loosen the head ?

You can try it.

You never know.

If it was me I would just go for broke. If it breaks you are gonna have to buy a new one anyway.

Ted

You can try it.

You never know.

If it was me I would just go for broke. If it breaks you are gonna have to buy a new one anyway.

Ted

Nearly broke my hand trying to turn it off, don't wanna break that damn thing as well - plumbers are more expensive than doctors :LOL:

Will try with oil first then will take it from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back