Drayton TRV4 - any expertise ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had/have a few problems with Drayton trv4's that were/are fitted in my old as well as my current house (but I rented my old place, so I was less bothered).

Seen other posts on this forum where people experience them not working anymore after the summer. Had this problem as well, so in order to inspect it I screwed the white top bit off. Not sure if that was the wisest move, but pretty irreversible move anyway (?) - the radiator in question is at full blast now.

So now the main questions are:
- How can you tell if they're broken ?
- If there are not, can you just screw it back on ?
- If so, how to reinstall them and actually make them work again in the process

If replacing is the only remedy, where to get a good deal on them ?
Do they come with the other metal bit as well ?
What is the procedure for replacing them ? Do you have to empty the system, do the job and then refill it perhaps ?

Thanks,
DIY-numpty

Sponsored Links
Whilst the previous TRV would often stick down so far I have not encountered any failed TRV4s.

Tony

Check that the pin, which sticks up from the chrome part still attached to the radiator, can move up and down. With the top off, the pin should be up. You can use a pair of pliers, but take care not to bend the pin.

When you replace the white head you need to make sure that the dial is set to Max; it makes it easier to replace as you are not working against the spring which holds the pin up!

Sponsored Links
I have had to replace LOADS of em this year

pin moving but no flow

go figure.

:)

Have replaced quite a large percentage of the ones I see! Dud heads, stuck and broken valves, all sorts.

Dave, Grolch`n Bacardi:cool:

Matt, out thats goin :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Craig,, Stella, Vodka :eek:

ChrisR. True For get the balance and pump pressure change the £5 vavle.. :LOL: ;)

I find a GENTLE tapping with the old 8oz ball pein hammer works quite well at persuading the little pin that it's summer rest is over. :LOL:

D_Hailsham said:
You can use a pair of pliers...
No you can't. :evil:

You should NEVER use a pair of pliers on a TRV pin. You risk nicking it and bending it, and it's a pointless thing to do anyway. It would be more sensible to use a pair of pliers to do up your zip after having a waz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back