Drayton Wiser hub does not close TRVs

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to install and set up a Drayton Wiser kit 1 with 6 radiator thermostats for several days. The heathub turns on the boiler and starts heating, BUT hot water is constantly circulating in all of the radiators. For example I want to heat the kitchen up to 22 Celsius from 18 (only the kitchen), but leave all the other rooms (zones) at 18. The boiler turns on after setting the temp in the Wiser app and starts to heat the water and the temperature goes up in all of the zones. It seems heathub does not close any of the TRVs even if heating is not needed in that zone.

I tried to recalibrate the radiator thermostats several times, but the problem is the same.

Does anyone have an idea of what can be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Haven’t had the pleasure of the Wiser systems yet, but maybe contact Drayton for advice, if no luck on here?

No experience of this particular package but for test purposes set much lower values (or even off) for each valve and see if they're actually responding to the app (is there a MANUAL position on the valves?)

Haven’t had the pleasure of the Wiser systems yet, but maybe contact Drayton for advice, if no luck on here?

Currently waiting for their reply, but they can be very slow. Setting up the system with their help took almost two weeks.

Sponsored Links
No experience of this particular package but for test purposes set much lower values (or even off) for each valve and see if they're actually responding to the app (is there a MANUAL position on the valves?)

Tried it and nothing changed. It seems the hub does not want to open or close the valves. Strange because the connection between them is ok.

Last edited:
Do you hear any noise, e.g. a motor?
If you remove the head from the valve, do you see the actuator move?

Do you hear any noise, e.g. a motor?
If you remove the head from the valve, do you see the actuator move?

No noise can be heard. The actuator only moves when I start the calibration process. Then I can hear the sound and it is moving in and out. If it is attached to the radiator, there is no noise, nor actuator movement, even if I turn of the zone in the app. This applies to all 6 radiator thermostats.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting the Wiser system so have been watching lots of youtube videos about the installation etc, did you carry out the calibration with the TRV fitted to the valve? also can you hear the motor turning when you manually boost from the valve (turn the switch to the left (red). Another thing to check would be if the actual valves on the TRVS are stuck open, remove the trv and try gently pushing down on the exposed pin.

With the cheap eQ-3 heads I fitted I got a code for pin jammed, and a code for reached end of travel, however with the much more expensive Energenie there was no way to know if the travel was correct, seemed very poor, and like you I was finding radiators on when should be off, it turned out to be time related, the heads had an OTT anti hysteresis software built in, and they very gradually opened and closed the valve, and the setting of the lock shield was critical. Can't say if yours are the same, but what I had to do was close the lock shield if current over target and open if current under target so it seemed as if the lock shield was doing all the work.

However once set, it did work, and other than sun through bay windows, which no system can correct, the temperatures in rooms were within 0.5°C once set.

Reading about the Drayton system the TRV heads are smart, and should learn when to open and close, this was a problem with Energenie they were not smart, so set to 16°C over night although rarely got that cold, and 20°C in morning it could be 11 am before room reached temperature, so I cheated and set to 22°C for an hour then to 20°C, the Drayton are claimed not to have this problem and they learn at what point to close so bring the room up to new temperature a lot faster, similar to the Nest wall thermostat. Well Nest took a couple of weeks to learn, so I would assume Drayton TRV heads would be the same.

Not used Drayton, they are claimed to be the best, so please say how you get on.

Hello Bence,

did you manage to solve the problem? Actually I have the same issue - though it worked fine for ~1 month. (Wiser heathub + 5 radiator valves).

Hello Bence,

did you manage to solve the problem? Actually I have the same issue - though it worked fine for ~1 month. (Wiser heathub + 5 radiator valves).

Hi,

I did manage to solve it. It turned out that the firmware of the HUB was old and this was the reason why it was unable to control the TRVs.
You cannot update the firmware but the Drayton support team can do it for you remotely.

I would definitely write them and ask them to check the version.

Br.
Bence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back