Drayton Wiser + Worcester Ri 24 issue with heating but i can get hot water on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Basically got a new boiler installed about 4 months ago and thought all was fine. At the installation point, I tested the hot water functionality but don't remember to test heating at all. Today I finally tested heating and although Drayton Wiser heating light gets on, the boiler doesn't start. Same time I can switch the hot water on using the app with no problem. So what am I missing here?

The wiring looks ok to me at the drayton and boiler point. The installer didn't mess about wires at the Drayton point at all. And the fact that the black cable can call for hot water means the cable is good. Also, drayton wiring worked fine on the old boiler too.

the port valve works correct too, it changes position when hot water and heating is switched on.

Could it be a faulty Drayton unit? If so I should be able to test this with a multimeter.

Any ideas?

Regards
Bart

Attachments

• 1662554600075.jpg
    1662554600075.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 77
  • 1662554600100.jpg
    1662554600100.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1662554600108.jpg
    1662554600108.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 1662554600121.jpg
    1662554600121.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 1662554600136.jpg
    1662554600136.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Which model wiser is it ? this may be of some help...terminal 4 does the ch but is there a separate wiring centre ?The black wire seems to be going direct from the HW on the wiser to the demand ( LR on St2) on the boiler, meaning that unless there is a wiring center there is no demand for CH being called, ie where is the brown wire on the CH on going ?

Last edited:
What black cable? If you mean the black wire, that is being used for hot water off, your heating on is the brown wire in terminal 4.

Sponsored Links
ok, that makes sense now, let me track the cable down and will let you know.

The black wire connected at the boiler should come from the orange wire on the mid-position valve

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Apologies for the late reply

The brown wire goes to the upstairs cupboard and is connected with the red one. Then the red one goes to the downstairs old thermostat box and it is joined with the yellow wire ( because I replaced the old thermostat with wireless Drayton Wiser, link to the forum post) . Then the yellow one goes back to the upstairs cupboard and is connected to the white wire. This wire goes to the port valve. So I'm lost a bit at this stage.

1662566875734.jpg

Old thermostat box
1662566875745.jpg

Upstairs cupboard

I wondered that, but then OP states boiler installer didn’t touch the wiser wiring. However it worked previously.
I had some issues with the installer, wouldn't want to speak with him.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The black wire connected at the boiler should come from the orange wire on the mid-position valve

OK, i see the orange wire coming from the port valve. It is joined with a couple of brown wires and blu wire. Blue and orange go to pump and the last brown goes back to Drayton wiser box.

1662566875745.jpg

Which model wiser is it ? this may be of some help...terminal 4 does the ch but is there a separate wiring centre ?The black wire seems to be going direct from the HW on the wiser to the demand ( LR on St2) on the boiler, meaning that unless there is a wiring center there is no demand for CH being called, ie where is the brown wire on the CH on going ?

The model number is WT724R the two-channel.

Is there a separate wiring centre - Yes, see the pictures posted.

I think it could be your joining of the red and yellow wires from the old thermostat. Do you have a photo of how that thermostat was wired up?

I'm thinking if this is a faulty drayton wiser unit. The only way I could prove this is to re-wire the system to my old thermostat and Salus EP200 controller unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back