Drill/bore large deep hole.

Thanks for all the sugestions! My current plan is to cut a 'collet' shap into the bottom, i.e. 1" slots in a cross shape. I can then remove the inner rings with a chisel/knife and hopefully clamp the whole thing to the post with jubilee clips. Not the best method and a bit ugly but so far the cheapest and most likely to succeed.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that the above idea would be strong enough, it would concentrate all the forces to the top of the pole and create a weak point so I've changed my mind
Thinking outside the box I've decided that because the post is hollow my best option is to cut it off and concrete a narrower post down it's centre. A 30mm-ish steel post with 3-4mm wall should easily hold a 10ft Christmas tree.

Sponsored Links
It is anchored 3ft deep in concrete. Not sure how deep in the tree is enough but I think 600mm should be fine if it is a tight fit. Will need jubilee clips to prevent it splitting.

It is anchored 3ft deep in concrete. Not sure how deep in the tree is enough but I think 600mm should be fine if it is a tight fit. Will need jubilee clips to prevent it splitting.
Your going to bore a 30 mm hole for 600mm dead straight up the centre of a tree..Respect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back