Drill press, or drill press stand

Sponsored Links
I must have some kind of dementia - I can't remember what my wife said to me 5 minutes ago but I clearly remember buying that hand vice on Oldham market in 1994 for £7! I even remember the bloke selling it had a beard.

I must have some kind of dementia - I can't remember what my wife said to me 5 minutes ago but I clearly remember buying that hand vice on Oldham market in 1994 for £7! I even remember the bloke selling it had a beard.

The Chinese must have copied the design then,,

Just ordered a flat drill vice for mine

Is there a quick-release hold-down or screw to fix the vice to the table? With the slots it moves around easily for positioning.

Sponsored Links
This?

1689441129368.png

I've had this one about 20 years. Forgot what I paid for it. 16 speed and you change the speed by swapping the fan belt on the motor part up top but I think it’s still set on whatever it was when I bought it. I've probably only used it 20 times since I’ve had it but it’s come in bloody handy when I have. Only a Sealey so not exactly quality but does the job when needed.

IMG_1275.jpeg

Edit: Bloody hell - just looked on eBay and theres a new one on there just short of £500!

I've had this one about 20 years. Forgot what I paid for it. 16 speed and you change the speed by swapping the fan belt on the motor part up top but I think it’s still set on whatever it was when I bought it. I've probably only used it 20 times since I’ve had it but it’s come in bloody handy when I have. Only a Sealey so not exactly quality but does the job when needed.

View attachment 308344

Edit: Bloody hell - just looked on eBay and theres a new one on there just short of £500!
Makes you think...

Just looked at Rutlands I bought one of those the other week when it was on offer for half list. But I see they have sold out.

I suggest the OP get's himself on the Rutlands mailing list for daily offers.

That is identicle to my post drill, apart from the adjustable height vice support table - mine is rectangular, and appears much less robust. Probably why it deforms under pressure of the drill..

The OP's
Wouldn't bother with a drill press stand and don't go for new cheapies- if mine (b & q own brand about 15 years ago) is typical you get flutter on the chuck so precise drilling is harder work than it should be.
By flutter do you mean where you lower the drill down and the chuck tends to wander a tad? Or something else?

Hello

So, I am sure above, I said that I know of a second hand store that gets drill presses, both floor and benchtop, well, Thursday, I ask if we can go to the store, else can I have help doing facebook searches (from my amazing mum). So, we are in this store, they have loads of items that many call junk, in fact the stores name has junk in it... anyway, they often get a load of tools, and I had seen one in the store a few months ago, but it was already sold. I thought, I needed to go to the shop right next to it, so could I pop in this store to see if they have any bench top drill presses knowing they sell them fast, and so we went, I walked around the DIY tools section of the shop, and I don't see any Bench top drill presses, so I get ready to leave the store, and my mum said to me, did you not want that drill press or did you want to ask if it works first?

Yep, my mum saw a bench drill press in the shop that wasn't sold, a great price of just £30, and a week bring back if not working guarantee on it too. Its an old press, that my nieces dad (Royal navy Engineer) said that what I brought should be very reliable and good. I have checked the Plug, checked the basic bits that I had really easy access too, and plugged it in, yeap, the drill press works... I just don't know how to use it, lol

The bench top drill press is as follows...
NUTOOL Group 5 speed drill press, Model No, DP10E - I think its made in Doncaster, England (UK) in 1995. No manual and I have lost the drill chuck key, So, I have no idea where I could find a replacement, but I am sure Amazon will sell one quick to me, but can I use the drill press without the key chuck if I can find something else until the new key arrives once I find out what one I need that is... once I find a manual for this drill press.

Well done

If it is a British make, it most likely has a Jacobs chuck, and there are quite a few sizes of key. I don't know how you identify the correct one, there might be a number stamped on it, or you could take some photos with a steel rule against it to show the measurements (open it fully if you can move it with your fingers and measure the maximum opening diameter, it is probably 13mm or 1/2"). Look for any references painted or stamped onto the body

One of these (on ebay)

1689469505672.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back