Drill press, or drill press stand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i am starting to be on the lookout for a table top drill press, or a drill press stand (where you put your own drill in.

my budget isn’t big, so either looking at secondhand drill press or a drill press stand.

let’s say my budget is £50 - it’s not, but close to it… once my new car comes, I will know for sure.

is there anything you would recommend or stay away from? I have come across a new silverline drill press for £70, I have some tools by silverline, some are good (not top level but good for myself) and I have some that. I hate, but are usable by my mum… I hate the multi tool as it vibrates too much for clean cuts as an example.

Sponsored Links
At that budget I'd look around car boot sales and in the local buy and sell paper, etc for a second hand bench top drill press. Drill presses have induction motors, which are a lot quieter than a drill in a drilling stand and you can do stuff with them, such as tapping holes in metal/hard plastics, pressing bearings in, etc which are difficult to do with a drill in a drilling stand. Even cheap bench top drilling machines tend to be more stable and accurate than the portable equivalents, partly due to the extra mass they have.

Let's face it, though, at sub several hundreds of pounds you shouldn't expect the quality and accuracy of a Meddings or Fobco Star

I have seen many drill press stands over the last few months, and they all have mixed reviews.

I am looking at many secondhand shops which do come across drill presses often, but they won’t reserve it for me, as soon as they come in, they are sold. I think one of the worst things is, I technically already own 3… just unable to get them, my grandfather left me tools from extremely heavy duty military worth fixing equipment to wood working stuff. I was 3 when he died, but my dad and his brother fell out and when my Nan died, I have only been there a few times. My uncle still uses all the tools so they are kept up good.

I am not sure how trustworthy either the site is or the product.

Sitebox - website/store unknown if safe.

You will easily find a drill press for £50 or less off marketplace, though may take a few weeks, I'd say for that budget beggars can't be choosers and they're all of a muchness, I think I paid about £30 last year, can't remember the make, I use it more than I thought I would, very handy. I had a drill stand years ago it was of very limited use. Check it comes with a chuck key as mine didn't so that was another £6 or something also if one comes with a vice that's a bonus.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
PS I would trust the sitebox website, they seem to have plenty of reviews and if you google their address you can see their premises.

Wouldn't bother with a drill press stand and don't go for new cheapies- if mine (b & q own brand about 15 years ago) is typical you get flutter on the chuck so precise drilling is harder work than it should be.
Saying that, the thing has proper belt drive reduction gear (and as above is very quiet) and is excellent at big holes in 6mm plus steel cos it cuts nice and slow.

I am currently doing some work at my mum's.

Yesterday I had to drill through the centre of some brass nuts to turn them in to super thick washers.

It first one, I did using a cordless drill, my adjustable jaw pliers and a sacrificial block of wood. I regularly had to flip the nut as the drill bit kept grabbing. That first one took me about 2 mins.

My stepfather reminded me that he had my benchtop drill in his shed. Still using a block of wood and my grips, the remaining nuts took about 20 seconds each, and no grabbing.

I guess some drill stands will let you do that, but many won't.

I paid about £150, 20 years ago.

I would recommend a second hand bench drill.

I got a used bench drill recently, the problem is that they are quite big and heavy, and impractical to post. I had to collect mine from another town. I paid £50 and he had no other offers. If you are in a city or large town there would be more sellers and buyers

Used tools crop up on ebay and local Facebook, some of them in first class condition (and some are scrap)

Occasionally Lidl or Aldi might have one. A budget tool might have poor alignment.

Silverline tools are awful quality.

A stand for your own drill is the cheapest option, but not so versatile, especially on speeds.

Useless junk, and the same applies to any new ones in that price range.
They're not useless by any means, they perform as is to be expected of something that costs a couple of quid, they drill a vertical hole and to a desired depth if required, I use mine all the time, I don't have the kinds of projects where uber acuracy is necessary.

My £40 boot sale Tauco is still going strong after 75 years or so.

IMG_20230714_205411584.jpg

That reminds me, you need a drill vice to go with it. Some are very small.

They're not useless by any means, they perform as is to be expected of something that costs a couple of quid, they drill a vertical hole and to a desired depth if required, I use mine all the time, I don't have the kinds of projects where uber acuracy is necessary.

I agree - horses for courses. One issue, is the adjustable height rest for the vice - apply to much force (easy to do) and it deflects quite badly, which can make the hole several degrees out of true vertical. The simple fix, is to support the front edge of the rest, with timber blocks, between base and rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back