Drill recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the market for a new 'general purpose' drill for DIY duties around the house, however it should be able to manage the odd bit of brick drilling.

I came across an offer via email from tooled up.com on the Bosch Gsr 14.4-2 for 89.95 inc VAT (reduced from £257.32+vat)

Anyone any views on this unit, or the spec or even Bosch drills in general.

Ta

Sponsored Links
bosch are generally very good tools but thats a bit weak for drilling masonary,id probably take a shot at one of the 18 volt erbauers on the screwfix site for similar money,heard some good reports on them

If you're gonna spend around the £100 mark get the 18v ryobi combi kit (2 drills).

Or the makita combi with 3 batteries for the same price.

or for a good all-round set get the dewalt SDS and driver kit, also under a ton.

if you want POWER go for a cordles impact driver.

no comparison. it will pull in a 4"-12 through oak without piloting. :eek:

Sponsored Links
in my humble opinion thev ryobi mentioned by deluks is a good buy
it gives you accsess to lots of one plus tools that fit the batteries
http://www.oneplustools.com/

all the other offers tend to be end of line or individual without a choice of reasonable priced tools to expand the range

big all

I have gone through a number of drills in my life, from very cheap to top of the line. Rule of thumb, you get what you pay for. Exceptions: dewalt, the old ones were pukka but I would not have a new one for free.
The 18 volt ryobi is easily the best value for money. Must be a dozen different machines that can run of the same battery. Getting one of their combi kits is a great way to get started. 2 or3 machines, 2 batteries and a speed charger. A torch and a striplight together for 25 quid, well worth it. the striplight will literally run all day long on one charge
If you go for the high end, make sure you get lithium batteries and not nicads. If you get nicads, make sure you run them completely flat on a regular basis.

I recently got the Makita 18V Li-Ion impact driver and drill set, they are both fantastic pieces of kit.

Does this one look any good? The Dewalt one is still on 'sale'....Are they worth the money?

made by black and decker, need i say more?

Irrelevant. B&D might own DeWalt but doesn't necessarily mean they are made in the same factory by the same people using the same parts. They are both worldwide brands and probably have factories the world over. I'm sure they will be a little bit better than your B&D, whom in my experience do exactly what they are supposed to do anyway. I have owned and used several B&D tools over the years, in fact I installed some metal railings last year using my grandads old corded orange B&D drill which he'd had since the seventies. (I'd left my battery charger and other drills at home) I've still got his matching orange jigsaw too, which still does the job albeit without any bells and whistles. I also have a B&D grinder which cost me £25 and has done loads of work.

For the applications you describe: " general purpose drill for DIY duties, and be able to manage the odd bit of brick drilling."

...the DeWalt kit will fit the bill.

I'd still get the Ryobi for a ton though ;) They do the combi and jigsaw pack for £100.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96817/Power-Tools/Kits/Ryobi-One-Combi-Drill-Cordless-Jigsaw-18V#

You are right in the sense that it makes no difference who owns the joint.
That said, I do know quite a few people who have dewalt tools and tell anyone who wants to know they will never buy them again.
It sees they will swap broken tools without asking too many questions, but it happens too often and takes too long to get a new one.
Admittedly; it is all hearsay.

Any of the professional tools from the well-known manufactures do the job.

The people that moan that their Dewalt broke after a few holes, or their Bosch blue overheated etc etc, have most likely just either abused it or broken it themselves by not using it properly.

I've never had any particular problems with dewalt or any other tools, and I don't know anyone else who has. The only ones that don't last are the cheap 'no name' ones used for jobs or for periods of time that they were not designed for.

But a lot of it is down to "my Bosch is better than your Dewalt" or "my Mac is better than your PC" mentality

Cast your mind back 20 or so years, when the choice was basically 4 drills by either B&D or a Bosch. Non of this technical specs, fancy colours or wacky design etc - you bought it, it drilled, job done.

Now its all marketing selling features and design which are irrelevant and confusing.

If you are drilling two holes a year, then you don't really want to be worrying too much about specs, or spending more than you need to on a model made for daily use. A £5.99 cheapy will do the job, it won't be glamorous in front of your mates, but it will make the holes

I got this I only use it occasionaly, but it has not let me down, the odd hole in a flue .. and decarb an aga..

and it aint packed in,unlike most of the cheapo drills i have tossed into my van.

I got this I only use it occasionaly, but it has not let me down, the odd hole in a flue .. and decarb an aga..

and it aint packed in,unlike most of the cheapo drills i have tossed into my van.

Sorry I didn't get the relevance of the second link. Were you implying that you masturbate over pictures of Charles Hawtrey? In the back of your van?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back