drill size for extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drill for an extractor in the bathroom. The hard plastic tube that goes thru the wall is 107mm in diameter (although the installation leaflet says to drill a 100mm hole!). Is it wise to get a 127mm core bit or will the 107mm size be OK (ie do you actually get a slightly bigger hole than the core bit?)

Sponsored Links
I got caught that way because modern extractors need a slightly bigger hole than the old duct.

I'd make the hole a bit generous and smudge soft mortar onto the inside so when you push the tube in it presses to a close fit (if you have a cavity wall, block the cavity with cardboard or loft insulation to prevent scraps falling inside). Turn theduct and you will be able to pull it out when the mortar is set to remove the scraps.

It is easier to pack a wider gap than a narrow one.

Tilt the duct slightly so any rainwater or condensation drips outside.

I want to drill for an extractor in the bathroom. The hard plastic tube that goes thru the wall is 107mm in diameter (although the installation leaflet says to drill a 100mm hole!). Is it wise to get a 127mm core bit or will the 107mm size be OK (ie do you actually get a slightly bigger hole than the core bit?)
We stitch drill ours, so we just mark around the pipe and drill generously. Foam works better for filling any gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back