HELP/ADVICE RE: DRILLING THROUGH MASONRY WITH CORE DRILL...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon Gentlemen.

I am planing on drilling through my Kitchen Wall to feed the Ducting from a new Cooker Hood installation.

At the moment, the new cooker and new cooker hood are on the way (3-5 working days delivery :rolleyes: ) so I am preparing the Kitchen now....

and here is the (slight) issue....

I had a conservatory built last year, so the space for the Duct to exit the Kitchen is very limited outside. Originally, I wanted to thread the Ducting DIRECTLY INTO the Chimney Flute and call it a day :D but I've been advised that connecting an extractor fan to a Chimney Flute isn't a good idea (out of interests sake, does anybody know why ?) Now that I know connecting the Ducting to the Flute is a BAD IDEA im preparing to drill through the wall. I've managed to find a spot outside next to my Conservatory which can accommodate the 100mm diameter needed for the Duct, as well as the Grill I'll be covering it with.

The problem is, I'll need to DRILL THROUGH THE OLD CHIMNEY FLUTE to get to the outside/Garden wall. This means the Ducting will enter the hole I drill INSIDE the Kitchen, thread ACROSS the Chimney Flute, and then EXIT the Flute into the Garden. I've attached two photos, showing the inside and outside walls.

THE PLAN is to hire a proper Drill from HSS, with a 107mm Diamond Core which can knock out the exact hole I need in one go - would that Core Drill be over-kill for the job ? If so, should I opt for a more modest high powered drill from HSS and outline the 107mm diameter on the wall ? drilling small holes around the circumference until I break through ? I want to go for the Core Drill, does anyone have any thoughts ?

Im adding a Garden Tap and eventually an outdoor powersocket, so hiring the Core Drill (52mm) would be handy for that job too.

Once I drill two holes (one on the kitchen side of the Chimney Flute and one on the Garden side) I'll use flexible Aluminium Ducting form Wickes to thread the ducting through just incase both holes don't match up perfectly, which im sure they won't.... :rolleyes:

so thats the plan, and those are the photos.

I welcome and would very much appreciate some feedback, advice, arm waving-warnings, etc, from anybody reading this :D I've used the site a few smalls jobs I've done myself, as well as a resource tool for jobs I intend professionals to do. I think I can handle this Job myself, but I would like some advice/feedback first.

Much Obliged Gentlemen.

//media.diynot.com/107000_106908_13963_67037068_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/107000_106908_13964_55207173_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I should also add, the main reason for my post is to ask if the CORE DRILL with a 107mm bit is too powerful for the Walls I intend to use it on.

As you can see from the 2 photos I've put up, I intend on Drilling through a Chimney Flute from the Kitchen side, and then Drilling through from the Garden Side.

now,

Can these walls take the strain of a Core Drill ? The Chimney Wall is only Single Brick, as is the Garden Wall where the Chimney is. The rest of the Garden wall is double brick.

is the Core Drill over kill ? or is it suitable to use for this project ?

I believe it is, but I thought it would be wise to ask people familiar with Structural Integrity.

Cheers.

Go to your local plant hire shop and hire a core drill with appropriatley sized cores that you require. Easy peasy.

Sponsored Links
much obliged hotrod.

..figured a Core Drill would be the best way to go about my lil project, just thought it would be wise to create a post to see if 1001 people replied to WARN me of some impending structural DOOM i'd possibly over looked :eek:

thanks again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back