Drill through metal I Beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need to put frame and plasterboard where this door used to be. Can I drill down into I Beam and use bolts to secure price of 2x4 of where the door used to be?
20230719_150719.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could, or you could just skew nail or screw the ends of your 2x4 into the vertical frames that are there.
I thought about screwing the ends of the 2*4 into the vertical frames. Problem with that is the vertical frame on the right is only attached to the frame that is spanning the floor, which is getting removed so will no longer be attached to anything. I just wasn't sure if it's a good idea/allowed to drill holes in the i beam and use bolts, was thinking 4 holes 5mm?

Half a dozen 5 or 6mm holes will have no detrimental affect whatsoever on the beam.

Sponsored Links
You could glue it for all the lateral force it's going to have to resist, unless you have a habit of repeatedly ramming heavy objects into the base of your walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back