Drilled into electrical cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops:

Please help somebody

What a DIY disaster
I've just drilled into a electircal cable.I've just had a utility room built which has loads of sockets for mashing machine etc. and are all switched on at worktop level to make it easier.However i did have a socket installed on its own just in case i needed it for something.I did use a detector but forgot about this socket and drilled into the wire.Now i think the wire is still intack but the bare wires ar showing.Now can i just chisel out a little bit of wall and wrap electrical take around the wires and inbed back into the wall (easiest) or can i connect the damaged wires together using a terminal block (what ampage terminal block do i use) and again inbed back into the wall or do i have to chisel the hole wire back out up to the ceiling and put a fresh bit of wire in and connect back into the circuit with a large junction box.

Sponsored Links
jelly said:
ps The 13 amp socket still works ok

did you not have capping over it? if you do you should be able to pull a new lengh in as you pull the old out, i wouldent advise you use tape, you cant have a terminal block as you would have to have a box with blank plate to enclose it in. if you dident put it in capping or conduit, it serves you right :LOL: and youl have to chop it out or just cuttit off

AR

You could always use a small junction box to repair the damaged wire, much better than terminal blocks which I would not recommend.

Sponsored Links
supersparks is right, you should replace the whole wire. Don't replace one bodge with another, the wire's going to be there for a long time, so just sit and think for half an hour then get on with it. Surprised you drilled into the wire. Runs to outlets should only be vertically above or below AFIK, so you never drill there.

Graeme said:
You could always use a small junction box to repair the damaged wire, much better than terminal blocks which I would not recommend.

if you use a jnbox, it must be above the plaster you cant plaster over it, also it will keep getting hit, get in the way and will be a major weakness in your circuit, replace from ceiling down atleast, if you did it properly andused capping it will be easy, if not, you will pay for your sin :LOL:

AR

Just thought i would mention why you cant use a junction box / choc bloc

A small junction box would not be able to carry the current, so it may melt
a 30 Amp junction box could not be used because All "joints" have to be accessable which they wont be after you have plastered it in the wall.

You can't use insulation tape like a "plaster" because unlike people that will get better with a plaster, a cable will if anything, get worse.

There is a new regulation that say you are not supposed to use junction boxes at all (but that is another subject)

when using choc bloc (you cant in this case for reasons mentioned above)

a core may fit into each side of it but the choc bloc may be too small to carry the current.

Many years ago in my innocence i used some 2amp choc block for a 12 v light it looked ok to me, what i forgot was the the light although only 12 v draws 24 Amps (i was running it from a car battery) it was fine for a very short while then the chock bloc literaly melted and the light went out. My point is as with most things you should always use the correct tool / bit of kit for the right job, and for a damaged cable it should always be replaced

what ciechamstances can't you use a jn box for? is it just power circuits? or doe it include lightingaswell? and where can i find it ? is it in the 16th ed yet?

AR

Sorted it.

Did what you said Supersparks.I chiseled from where the damage was up to the ceiling.I then cut the wire just past the damage and managed to slide a new wire down the capping to the outlet.I then connected the wires together with a 30amp junction box and slip this into the roof space.I put new capping in and plastered over the top.The electrician who did our extension used a junction box to extend our circuit and i agree with you whats the point of a junction box.
I know i was stupid drilling into a wire but i was only checking where i new the circuits were but i forgot about this one

Thanks

i know but it was getting late.But thanks all the same.I think i was rushing but no harm done at the end of the day

Just a thought.

What is the difference between white and brown junction boxes of the same ampage

jelly, forget the eye-glazing technicalities that the others are suggesting - just use a 30amp junction box, and bury it in the wall.... very little hassle, very little mess, and perfectly safe.

To tell a story, my uncle was putting up some brackets for 2 stereo speakers, he was drilling in the wall perpendicular to the consumer unit - it turned out that not all wires went straight up from the CU, and he managed to hit the 40amp shower cable.......bang....it blew him back off his stepladder, and he was shaking for about 10 minutes with shock [laugh].
Incidentally, he repaired the cable with a junction box and plastered over it - no problem.

Have to agree with sterose......it would be safe.....but it dont comply with regulations (526-04-01 / sorry to quote).....and after you have installed the JB, leave to cover off, cause whats the chance your going to touch it...

sterose said:
just use a 30amp junction box, and bury it in the wall.... very little hassle, very little mess, and perfectly safe.

:confused: Have I got this right,you bury the junction box into the wall and plaster over it , or have I read it wrong :?: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back