drilled into plastic central heating pipe! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!,
Slightly desperate, please excuse my stupidity but I havent a clue when it comes to plumbing.
Whilst attempting to put up a mirror in the hallway of our new house, my other half drilled into a plastic pipe which seems to supply the radiator beneath it.
The pipe is consealed in the wall, which is plasterboard then brick (external wall) with no gap.We've cut away some plaster to get a better look at it and can see the pipe has just been grazed, but due to the pressure of the water it still shoots out at a rate of knots as soon as we turn the hot water on. It has an identical pipe next to it which is unharmed.
I've had a look around and seen lots of pipe connectors where you cut out the broken bit of pipe and replace it with another section and a connector, but we cannot get at the pipe without ripping half of the wall out, as it is plastered into the wall (I hope that makes sense!) I can email a pic if I'm not explaining it well.
I've tried to bung the hole with loctite power putty which sets like concrete but to no avail! It holds for about 5 minutes then due to the sheer pressure of it, the water starts shooting out wherever it can escape!
I'm stuck as to what to do. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm really desperate, we've no hot water or heating and I havent a clue what to do.
In case it makes any difference we've got a closed non-vented central heating system in a brand new house and I'm loathed to start pulling down walls!
Heeeeeeelp!
sluggy_bug :0)

Sponsored Links
sadly i think you have only 1 option,make a big enough hole in the wall to allow repair,the wall can easily be repaired,otherwise it may be a case of re newing the length of pipe if it can be pulled out upstairs

sluggybug said:
Hello!,
Slightly desperate, please excuse my stupidity but I havent a clue when it comes to plumbing.

In case it makes any difference we've got a closed non-vented central heating system in a brand new house and I'm loathed to start pulling down walls!
Heeeeeeelp!
sluggy_bug :0)

Don't worry. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to drill through a plastic pipe. In the desire to hide pipes in walls they are everywhere on modern houses. I have seen some amazing 'bodge' jobs in very expensive homes.

Anyway, all you can do is cutaway a section of plasterboard to expose about 4 inches either side of the hole. You need to identify the brand of pipe. Take a photo and post it online here so we can help you.

Then you will need to go to your local PTS or plumbing merchant and buy two inserts, a straight coupler and a plastic pipe cutter.

Actually, if you have already attempted a bodge with the epoxy and there isn't slack in the pipe you will have to buy two couplers and a length of pipe. In this case it might be cheaper to call out a plumber rather than buy a whole reel of pipe ;)

i remember the first time i did it :eek:

Radiator_Connections.gif

the drill slipped honest :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Now is that the result of a vindictive electrician?

Or a plumber just following his instructions not to obstruct an electrical fitting?

Tony

Tony - you're not keeping up!
That's the new 'recommended' method of running F & R pipes down the wall, through a plastic guide-thingy and over to the each end of the rad.

Saves positioning pipes accurately at first-fix!

croydoncorgi said:
Tony - you're not keeping up!
That's the new 'recommended' method of running F & R pipes down the wall, through a plastic guide-thingy and over to the each end of the rad.

Saves positioning pipes accurately at first-fix!

Yep, The very expensive new builds in this area done by Laing use that method. The new 'hole in the middle' radiators are also a recent development!

Expertboy said:
raden said:
is it b***ery

everyone knows that this is the way to do it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raden/132080239/

Taken by Ed Sirett who seems to have just joined diynot

hopefully he can post a link to the rest of this series

My missus could of done a better job than that :LOL:

Now that has made me laugh and I have the most hellish day ahead completing my cold water re-plumbing!! Keep the amusements coming up. I might acquire some photo's of today's job for comparison.

That radiator - looks like a fair hole saw!

Hi all,

I hadn't joined earlier but I have now, at least for this thread.

That picture with the hot and cold pipes taking the scenic outdoor route is one of a series taken by me in the course of my work.

I was hoping that the pictures would win me a prize in the Eye Spy section of the CORGI comic. It seems that they are not going to be published possibly becasue to really show the bad gas fitting they would have to show more than one or two pics.

The pics are up again (they've been down recently after a rework of the web site)
www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HowNotTo.html

The background info for this was that customer who owned the house had decided to convert the back bedroom in the front part of the house to a kitchen diner for their lodgers.
Due to family politics the original contractors had been selected on price.
Other members of the family suggested that they get someone in to check things over.

The faults on the gas supply were so numerous that I had to condemn it. At least six ARs
which made for an ID.
The electrical faults included an extractor fan switched by a cooker switch wired directly off an unfused spur off a ring final circuit.

Geoff is now bringing his tribe to this site!

At least I dont expect that Ed will be calling anyone an "eejit" !

But I have been proved wrong before!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back