Drilled into wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aargh. Drilled into a wall and managed to nick a live wire. First time I've done such a thing. My assumed fix ... 1) Turn all leccy off. 2) Dig out plaster to get to channel. 3) locate the damaged wire(s) and cut out. 4) rejoin the wires using junction/packbox. 5). Replaster the channel.

Would that be reet?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Something like that.

But if the cable is in a tube or capping, and you have access above/below; you may be able the replace the cable in the wall, and do a junction box above/below in the ceiling/floor void.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thank you. Question: if I do use a choc box, should it be wrapped in anything prior to putting a load of filler over it in the channel?

You can't use a 'choc block' as it is not maintenance free. (And you wouldn't fill straight over an electrical connection.)

You either need crimps and heatshrink over it.
Or wagos in a wagobox.
Or solder and heatshrink.

Soldering is a pain unless you know what you are doing.

Crimps take up little space, but you need the right sizes and a DECENT crimping tool, or they will come adrift. They will need to be sleeved with heatshrink sleeving or placed in a suitable enclosure.

Wagos are incredibly easy, but the rule is they have to be placed in a wago box when inaccessible. This means digging out some of the wall to accommodate it, but they come in various sizes. When I say wago, I am of course using a brand name, and should point out other brands will be available.

Hence why I was keen to replace the cable in the wall and do the joint in a ceiling/floor void, if there is one.

Send a picture if you can.

Sponsored Links
Hi, ok, got these wagos and box lined up to collect tomorrow en route. All ok?

Attachments

• Compress_20231121_214736_6081.png
    Compress_20231121_214736_6081.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Compress_20231121_214735_5492.png
    Compress_20231121_214735_5492.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 39
You can't use a 'choc block' as it is not maintenance free. (And you wouldn't fill straight over an electrical connection.)

You either need crimps and heatshrink over it.
Or wagos in a wagobox.
Or solder and heatshrink.

Soldering is a pain unless you know what you are doing.

Crimps take up little space, but you need the right sizes and a DECENT crimping tool, or they will come adrift. They will need to be sleeved with heatshrink sleeving or placed in a suitable enclosure.

Wagos are incredibly easy, but the rule is they have to be placed in a wago box when inaccessible. This means digging out some of the wall to accommodate it, but they come in various sizes. When I say wago, I am of course using a brand name, and should point out other brands will be available.

Hence why I was keen to replace the cable in the wall and do the joint in a ceiling/floor void, if there is one.

Send a picture if you can.
Wago boxes are not made to be buried in a wall...must be in free air...so thats a no no

Hi, ok, got these wagos and box lined up to collect tomorrow en route. All ok?
NO.....for one that is a wago light box and is not maintenance free and two wago boxes cannot be buried in a wall

Ok, solution please for fixing and burying in wall? Bearing in mind that I cannot replace whole cable run due to accessibility issues.

Wago boxes are not made to be buried in a wall...must be in free air...so thats a no no
It certainly doesn't intuitively sound very 'nice' (although I'm not sure that,in reality, it is any 'worse' than being 'inaccessible' in other ways) but do Wago actually say that they are not suitable for being 'buried in walls'?

Kind Regards, John

Yes John they do.......same as Hager....boxes must be In free air,
Interesting. I had not noticed that. What do they mean by 'free air', I wonder (and why do they say it)??

Does within a cavity wall, above a ceiling or below floorboards count as 'being in free air' ?​
... and what if it is embedded in plaster etc., but surrounded by an 'air space' - would that count as 'being in free air', I wonder?​

Personally, I'm reasonably comfortable with JBs ('MF' or not) under floor boards, but far less comfortable with any sort of JB (even 'MF' ones) within walls or under floors that are more difficult to 'lift'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back