Drilled into wire

I have never seen any of these that can be used on an in-line connector in the middle of a fixed length of cable. Do you have an example of such a tool.
The first example that came up:

Also - See if you can find an example or a picture on the net of a solid core being crimped.

Sponsored Links
I hadn't realised that they are hydraulic.

They either seem to be very cheap or £500+...

Sponsored Links
The first example that came up: ...
A version which was not in Portugese might be easier for some of us to read ;)

However, it looks to me from the picture is that the tool in question only 'crimps' (applies pressure) in one plane, not the three planes one would need for a proper hex crimp - or am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

A version which was not in Portugese might be easier for some of us to read
Mr.Google will translate.
However, it looks to me from the picture is that the tool in question only 'crimps' (applies pressure) in one plane, not the three planes one would need for a proper hex crimp - or am I missing something?
That's a good point; no, I was missing that.

Not sure, then.

A version which was not in Portugese might be easier for some of us to read ;)

Kind Regards, John

So by three planes, does the lower jaw project upwards as the side ones close in?

Until this thread, I thought that single core should not be crimped. I am glad to be corrected, but would like to know more about which crimping tools and connectors should be used.

Every day on this site is a new day at school, and I am grateful to those of you that pass your knowledge on.

So by three planes, does the lower jaw project upwards as the side ones close in?
No, the six parts slide in to maintain the hexagon.

I thought that single core should not be crimped.
In the main, I don't think they are, but I presume there are tools for everything but DIYers here won't have them.

I am glad to be corrected, but would like to know more about which crimping tools and connectors should be used.
I think the internet is more likely to offer the solution than the forum.

good bad crimp.jpg
One is better than the other, Which ?

Hint. over time the copper will migrate into the void and this reduces the pressure at the points of contact between the two wires

I'm not sure what you mean about the 'side ones' but, from what we swe i the photos, I can's see how pressure could be ('directly';) applied in more than one plane.

It looks as if the tool produces 'hex' crimps simply by squashing (in one plane) the crimp into a hexaginal shape constrained by a hexagonal hole in the die ...
1700843882677.png

However, those holes are not even 'regular hexagons' (all sides equal). In those pics,they are much 'wider' than 'tall', so they would seem to be only fractionally different from ('better than') the ones we are used to seeing, with the 'sides' being rounded.

To get what I would personally call a 'true hexagonal crimp' requires a much more complicated too, which actively applies pressure in three planes. I believe (but am far from sure) that DNOs (and other 'industrial' users) use such tools (usually hydraulic) for large cables.
Until this thread, I thought that single core should not be crimped. I am glad to be corrected, but would like to know more about which crimping tools and connectors should be used.
It is certainly the case that some industries/organisations (e.g. NASA) have a policy that single solid conductors should not be crimped. However, you only need to 'look around', or look at the archives of a forum such as this, to see that UK electricians (and very probably others) regularly use, and advocate/advise the use of, crimps on solid conductors (e.g. T+E up to 2.5mm²)..

As a confessed 'non-expert', I'm in no position to be regarded as any authority but, for what it's worth, I've personally never been very comfortably with joints (with any type of conductor) crimped using the sort of tools that electricians seem to use and advocate - but that's probably 'just me'. I would personally be much more comfortable with soldered joints any day - but, again, that's just me!

Kind Regards, John

As a confessed 'non-expert', I'm in no position to be regarded as any authority but, for what it's worth, I've personally never been very comfortably with joints (with any type of conductor) crimped using the sort of tools that electricians seem to use and advocate - but that's probably 'just me'. I would personally be much more comfortable with soldered joints any day - but, again, that's just me!

Nope, me too.

It is certainly the case that some industries/organisations (e.g. NASA) have a policy that single solid conductors should not be crimped.

The larger sizes of alloy cables, back in the day - were solid cores. I was always suspicious of the reliability of those, when crimped.

I remember some of the larger hydraulic crimpers, would have the lug fit into a U shaped die, then the moving part would force a relatively small indent into the open face/ top of the U.

Quite. See what I have written to opps. It looks to me that that tool is only fractionally different from ('better' than) the non-'hex' ones we are uised to.
Well, they would be a lot worse if they were not the exact size for the wire being crimped and vice versa.

So, are butt-crimps not a good idea in the first place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back