Drilling hole in steel bath

Regarding opening post. Did it, no problem whatsoever. Took 10 minutes, duct taped area first & didn't even wear out cutter (Bosch quick release)

Sponsored Links
I drilled our Kaldewei steel bath 6 years ago to pass shower cold feed through.

Never been an issue. Used a pipe finishing ring and silicone.

I drilled our Kaldewei steel bath 6 years ago to pass shower cold feed through.

Never been an issue. Used a pipe finishing ring and silicone.

It can be done, with a bit of forethought for ensuring water cannot get to the cut edge. I had the same problem - electric shower cold feed coming up alongside the long corner of the bath and making the fitting, removal and access of a bath panel impossible. The pipe simply dog-legged untidily around the rim of the bath, then under it to an isolator. I drilled the hole through the rim, to suit a compression fitting as a sleeve, but didn't think the sealing properly through so as a result, it rusted. Seems fine now though, since my latest attempt to stop the rust.

Sponsored Links
Did it, no problem whatsoever.

Spent hours worrying beforehand though!!
I find that happens often, spend hours, even days worrying about a job, hating the thought of starting it, then I find it sails through without problems.
And I think, why did I worry so much.

On the other hand, I sometimes start what I think is going to be a reasonably straightforward job, only to find some horrors lurking away, and I end up cussing the situation.

I usually run through possible tricky jobs in my head dozens of times. I just can’t help it. I’ll wake up around 3am & lay their thinking of every possible method & outcome.
The worst one was a job where the customer had chosen 3 metre x 1 metre x 4mm large format tiles. All my tilers were flat out (even though it’s a £200.00 psm fitting rate!)
So I was going to do it myself. I worked out ridged frames for getting them up the stairwell, planned every detail a hundred times in my head......
Then they changed their mind & chose a small metro tile instead.
I didn’t know wether to laugh with relief or cry because of the 2 weeks of broken sleep!

Back