Drilling hole in steel bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer didn’t bother getting the supplier to have the32mm hole drilled out of her bath for the pullout handset. Says “can’t you just do it, it’s only a hole”.
Anyone done it before? Coz I haven’t. I’ve got bi metal hole cutters & diamond cutters but it’s a right pain.

Sponsored Links
It is a pain and you should get something in writing about future rust which will be inevitable.
I only did it once and instead of using my set, i rented the hss core bit of good quality (£6)
The cut came very clean and i coated the edges with several layers of rust proof primer, than paint, finally enamel.
A year later the rust appeared and the customer wanted to blame me and asked for a new bath (with pre-drilled holes, yeah right!)
Fortunately I had an email in which she confirmed that she was taking full responsibility for rust and drilling process.

Yeah. Thanks. I’m really looking forward to doing that in a minute

Sponsored Links
Customer didn’t bother getting the supplier to have the32mm hole drilled out of her bath for the pullout handset. Says “can’t you just do it, it’s only a hole”.
Anyone done it before? Coz I haven’t. I’ve got bi metal hole cutters & diamond cutters but it’s a right pain.

It will rapidly begin to rust, after you have installed it - nothing will stop it.

Bad idea. Apart from the hole rusting. Water will drip down the those a soak everything below.

Say to her no. If she want it then cover your ears or sy no thank you.

If it's enamelled, walk away. Had a balanced flue gas heater to install in a posh flat, they had a marble hearth, mantel and back panel made to order, came in different pieces and needed 4 to carry the mantel. When the surround was installed, the opening was too low for the flue, lady said similar "Can't you just chisel a bit away?" I declined.

Customers can be a huge PITA.

I did a quote for one who wanted an extra socket in a bedroom.

Hummed and hawed for ages about where it should be, changed their mind several times then decided on a position.

At that time, I carried NCR estimate pads, so noted the measurements and wrote out an estimate for a double surface-mounted socket.

A week later I did the work according to the estimate.

Next day I get a furious phone call from the husband.

"It's in the wrong place. You must re-site it at your cost because it's your fault. Oh and while you're at it you might as well sink it in the wall."

"Have you still got your copy of the estimate?........"

Many years ago I was installing an Allia Courreges basin. About a grand or near to? There are three knock-outs which give the option of two tap holes or a single tap hole. The knock-out was completely solid full of glaze - not clear like it should be. I didn't like the look of it so I said to the client I wasn't happy about whacking it out. He called the supplier, who said yes, it's ok, that's what they are supposed to look like. Just hit it smartly with a hammer and it will pop out. I asked the client who was going to replace the basin if it broke? The bloke on the phone said said he'd replace it. I whacked it with the hammer. The basin broke in two. He replaced it.

Many years ago I was installing an Allia Courreges basin. About a grand or near to? There are three knock-outs which give the option of two tap holes or a single tap hole. The knock-out was completely solid full of glaze - not clear like it should be. I didn't like the look of it so I said to the client I wasn't happy about whacking it out. He called the supplier, who said yes, it's ok, that's what they are supposed to look like. Just hit it smartly with a hammer and it will pop out. I asked the client who was going to replace the basin if it broke? The bloke on the phone said said he'd replace it. I whacked it with the hammer. The basin broke in two. He replaced it.
Good work marra

Drilled my own bath about 15 years ago as I wanted hole for mixer in the corner.
Did it with a starrett cutter and some cutting oil. Still good now. Used masking tape to find the centre and prevent pilot walking.

Had to knock out a hole in a ceramic/China sink and drainer today... Was thinking about your post above, during the whole time doing it :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back