Drilling Holes in an RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the demolition stage of my build I have managed to find and RSJ that was encased in timber. I have checked the SE and he has confirmed I can use it. This is good news as it will save me a few quid but I will need to drill some holes for M12 bolts. Am I going to need a special drill bit ? I think this might be hard going ?

Sponsored Links
The sheer thickness of the RSJ means that things will be fairly hard work for a pistol drill but the metal is pretty soft as steels go so you’ll get there.
You’ll need HSS or cobalt drills for this, and as the diameter gets bigger, a slow drill speed.
Drill in stages starting at 5mm, then 8 then 10 and finishing with 12.5mm for a 12mm stud or whatever.
Keep the drill cool and we’ll lubed, and I’d buy new drill bits for this.
John :)

Sponsored Links
DeWalt Extreme Hss/colbat drill bits are great.Need to keep well lubricated when drilling hole.

If it proves to be too hard going with a battery drill, hire a mag drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back