drilling holes

M

marsaday

I have some big tiles from bandq which are ceramic, but quite thick. It is taking ages to drill holes in them - much longer than in the past.

I have bought an £8 drill from tool station and a pointed bit from them as well yesterday. The pointed bit worked only on one hole. The other bit has done 3 more today. I still need to drill 8 more holes.

I also have a little diamond core 8mm bit bought from tool station but it isnt that good.

I have been dipping the bits in water, but still slow.

Any ideas on what i should buy ? I dont want to spend too much money as well as already paid a bit.

Sponsored Links
I just use an ordinary masonry bit, with low speed and no hammer action, supporting the tile well.
Start with a small drill and work up to the size you need.
John :)

Sure they are ceramic? You should fly through them easily in seconds with a Pointed dip or diamond and to be honest also masonry took me seconds.

Certain they are not porcelain? They are hard as nails to drill

I've always found that using a good ordinary twist drill to break through the glaze followed by the masonry bit into the wall works.

Sponsored Links
They must be porcelain. £8 sq/m from b and q.

Very hard going.

Finished today much quicker using the dewalt diamond bit and water dropper. Much easier and the bit went through no problem in about 1 minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back