DRILLING INTO CINDERBLOCK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put up a couple of 70cm lengths of wood about 4X4cm onto a cinderblock wall which has crumbling old plaster. So I will have to drill into the block. My old domestic drill will not do this, even with a good quality drill bit. Its just not man enough. I went to my local shop where they stock a massive range of domestic and professional drills. They started talking about the SDS system and 110 volts and 240 volts and lots of other things which my nan doesn't know about any more than I do.

Please, I just want a drill that will easily go into cinderblock. I have never been able to drill into cinderblock because I never had a drill that would do it. But now I must put up battening and I must have a drill that will do the job. Please, can somebody advise me a reasonably priced electric drill that will actually drill into cinderblock? Hopefully, it won't be so much, but I am prepared to pay £200 if that is the only way and I will also buy a transformer if that is the only way to do this job.

Sponsored Links
You don't need a transformer, 110volt tools are a requirement for site work not DIY. You probably don't need an SDS drill (which has a powerful hammer action)

Your old drill may not have had hammer/percussion action, getting one like this will transform the way you can drill holes:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dwd024k-gb-701w-percussion-drill-240v/59025

Best makes are Makita Bosch and Dewalt and others, but the cheap drills from the sheds might be good enough for your needs.

Consider a cordless drill like this if you are going to use it regularly.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-d...-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/6407p

Blup

Cinder block (a US term) is strictly cinder or burnt coal residue mixed with concrete, what we call breeze block, perhaps the OP can clarify whether or not the material in question is modern concrete block.

Cinder block shouldn't need a 1200 watt SDS drill to make relatively small holes.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Look for any cheap 240v SDS drill. You don't need a brand name. Some may come with the drill bits, otherwise you need the special SDS bits.

Cinder block (a US term) is strictly cinder or burnt coal residue mixed with concrete, what we call breeze block, perhaps the OP can clarify whether or not the material in question is modern concrete block.

Cinder block shouldn't need a 1200
Blup
My first thought but he has tried another drill we used to drill breeze with an engineers hand drill, so my guess is it is a concrete block.

You don't need a transformer, 110volt tools are a requirement for site work not DIY. You probably don't need an SDS drill (which has a powerful hammer action)

Your old drill may not have had hammer/percussion action, getting one like this will transform the way you can drill holes:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dwd024k-gb-701w-percussion-drill-240v/59025

Best makes are Makita Bosch and Dewalt and others, but the cheap drills from the sheds might be good enough for your needs.

Consider a cordless drill like this if you are going to use it regularly.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-d...-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/6407p

Blup
Thanks for your response. I actually got an Erbauer brushless combi drill this AM from S/fix, £69.99. The salesman assured me earnestly it will go easily into cinderblock. I now have to go and get the actual drill bits from my local HW store, but they are very experienced and knowledgeable although their prices are high. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your helpful replies, guys. I got an Erbauer cordless combi, brushless from S/fix for £69.99, assured by staff it will easily go into cinderblock. I expect I'll be back here SOON with problems and puzzles.

Screwfix staff are a lot more knowledgeable than when their walk in stores opened a few years back, though they're still salesmen/women,let us know how you get on.

Blup

Cinder block shouldn't need a 1200 watt SDS drill to make relatively small holes.

Blup

Yep, I noticed this but still saying "Cinderblock" for some reason :p

Its not cinderblock? Maybe its just concrete. Its grey but maybe not as dark as if you mixed ash in it. A bit like Brexit but much more, uh, definite. It has big pockets of air in the middle. A bit like the EU. I have to wait until next week before I can afford the wood. However, I think there is a good chance that the drill I was SOLD will not drill into concrete block, despite the assertions from other commenters that it "should". S/fix allow you 30 days, so I can get my money back if it doesn't do the job.

Blup
What is "OP"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back