drilling into stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what l need to get or hire to drill a hole big enough for a extraction pipe for my cooker hood.The house walls are made up of stones and even drilling with a masonery to plug a wall is a task , you never get it to drill straight so this will be fun.Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ch427 said:
probably a diamond core cutter from a hire shop
According to hss hire site these diamond core cutters are only for brick and breeze blocks. Says nothing about cutting through stone walls.There must be something that does it.... :(

How about getting in touch with a granite product manufacturer to see what they use to cut holes in things like worktops?

ray316 said:
Can someone tell me what l need to get or hire to drill a hole big enough for a extraction pipe for my cooker hood.The house walls are made up of stones and even drilling with a masonery to plug a wall is a task , you never get it to drill straight so this will be fun.Any ideas.

I am a plumber living in an area that is nearly all stone and when putting a boiler flue through the wall i simply remove the stones and make good after..........simple :LOL:

Lagerkhan said:
ray316 said:

I am a plumber living in an area that is nearly all stone and when putting a boiler flue through the wall i simply remove the stones and make good after..........simple :LOL:
The walls are made up of hundreds of stones cemented together, they are not large stones.So just trying to chisel them out the thickness of the wall for a flue will take along time. :cry:

wanabechippie said:
How about getting in touch with a granite product manufacturer to see what they use to cut holes in things like worktops?
Very expensive blades. :LOL:

Is it like a flint wall? Do you know what the stone is? Do you know any local builders or DIY folk who will have dealt with the problem befeore with a similar house?

Are you sure it is made with cement not lime mortar?

Age and location may help.

Buy the core drill, then if it breaks you won`t get the hassle from the hire shop...........then sell on eBay...seriously

Bugger eye :eek: rackon you ent a mucher, mettey...I`d ast me ole man `bout yew forreners.......but ees bin sleepin unner they ammut lumps,fer few year since...God rest `im.........might fancy an old plumper if`n she kin do a jig :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back