Drilling through tiles to hang bathroom cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was in B&Q some weeks ago & saw specific tile drill bits.

Well we got rid of the bathroom cabinet that was in place as it was a bit diddy & we got a bigger one. Obviously we're going to have to drill through to hang this.

Do you need to use tile specific drill bits or would other drill bits do the job perfectly fine?

I know we have masonry drill bits in the shed & another set (wood i think). My uncle drilled in to my mums bathroom tiles without cracking them & i doubt he would've used tile specific drill bit but i don't know for 100% sure & since he's now on the other side of the world i can't ask him.

That aside, how do you know what size bit to use out of curiosity? Rawl plugs & fixers came with the cabinet. I know you could go with the smallest bit you have & work upwards but there's got to be a better way of getting the right bit.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can use masonry bits without any problems, but strictly no hammer action until you have pierced the tile glaze. Use as slow a speed as possible to get through the glaze, with plenty of pressure on the drill.
Use masking tape to prevent the drill bit skidding off target.
Use 6mm quality plugs to secure your cabinet, with appropriate screws.
John :)

Thanks. I didn't think we had any tile bits so figured he must've used one of our masonry bits.
The plugs & screws were supplied with the cabinet. How do you know what size bit to use to drill? I was told some years ago but having only done this (drilling into a wall) once before I've forgotten.

Sponsored Links
Obviously I can only guess but 6mm is a popular size.......I suggest you drill a test hole in something and see how they fit.
The plugs should tap in with a hammer easily.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back