Drilling wall for tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a 1970's property that has a cavity wall with plasterboard, would you suggest drilling through the board and into the block to hang a tv?

Any tips, tricks or techniques to get a good fix?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Up to about 40" tv then plug and screw [bit of copper pipe makes a good spacer to avoid crushing the plasterboard].
Larger and I would cut out the plasterboard to match the mounting plate and replace with ply to bring it flush again with plasterboard. The board is secured with at least 6-8 good fixings, then the mounting plate can just be screwed to the ply.
The height of the tv is important, ergonomics suggest centre of screen just above head height, too high and eventually leads to neck strain.

That's brilliant advice, thanks. The copper pipe trick will support the pb. It's a 48" tv but I think I'll try to get away with just plugs and screws I think as the led shouldn't weigh too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back