Drilling window surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to drill the side of my window 'surround' to put up a blind and nothing much seems to happen once I get about an inch in (matron!).

I've been using a masonry drill bit, however it is quite old and (I can't remember) but I suspect quite cheap.

Is it possible that it's just that the drill bit isn't up to much? I've order a seemingly fancier one from amazon in the hope that it works better... I'm just a little worried I've hit something structural that I shouldn't be trying to drill into.

Many thanks,
James

Sponsored Links
Are you drilling in to an area "above" the window?

Does the drill just not "bite" meaning no matter how much pressure you apply the drill will not penetrate?

Ken.

I'm drilling the side.

It just seems to 'rub' whatever's in there, rather than excavate it (for want of a more descriptive term).

The house is from the 1930s if that helps.

James

Sponsored Links
I'm drilling the side.

It just seems to 'rub' whatever's in there, rather than excavate it (for want of a more descriptive term).

The house is from the 1930s if that helps.

James
just to clarify "to the side"you mean below the top off the window and to the side and not above the window frame but too the side ??

Thanks everyone. I've bought a couple of new drill bits and I'll try again!

just to clarify "to the side"you mean below the top off the window and to the side and not above the window frame but too the side ??

I mean the hole in the wall that the window sits it, the side of that. So I’m drilling at 90 degrees to the right and left, as I stand facing the wall and not straight out in front.

James

ok if you connect a bit off string between the holes you are drilling each side to support the blind will the string pass above the window frame or accross the window frame and or glass ??

If you have a metal-detector/pipe-finder, check to see if metal could be preventing progress. You don't want to drill into a gas or water pipe (unlikely, but you never know with a house that old).

Well, my new drill bit arrived and it went through it like a decent drill bit through moderately hard brick.

Thanks for your help people! Sadly the new drill bit hasn't helped me get the blinds level... but by the time the entire house is decorated I'm sure I'll be good at it! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back