dripping sound from behind wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our kitchen when we put the taps on I can hear a dripping sound coming from behind the wall where I expect the pipes bring the water from upstairs. I therefore suspect one of them is leaking. a) would it involve ripping out plaster from wall to get to pipes? or b) would these pipes be accessible from the bathroom which is above the kitchen. Could this be a very expensive job. Instinct is to bury my head in sand and ignore but realise this is probably foolish thing to do !

Sponsored Links
If this sound occurs when the taps have been turned on, rather than constantly regardless of whether taps have been used, it could be that you have a waste problem. Do you hear the dripping, if you keep the sink plugged up, during and after use of taps?

Could be expansion/contraction of the pipes in the wall. If it was leaking it would do it all the time, not just when you run the taps.

You say you can hear dripping? I take it it is a hollow wall behind where the pipes are then? Plasterboard on strapping? If you can hear water drip there must be a void where the water is dripping in for you to hear it. It may just be a case of opening a section of the gyproc up to see what the problem is if it isn't a waste issue as prentice mentions. Mould = damp almost every time!
The expense would be relative to whats needed to find and repair if needed and then making good - that's how long is the piece of string I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I will investigate further by putting plug in and monitoring. What also concerns me is that the wall has got mould on in the area where the pipes would be so it raised my suspicions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back