Dripping sound from ceiling in heavy rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a quite substantial drip sound on my back bedroom ceiling when it rains.

I've been up into the loft and there's no sign of leaking, the loft is covered in a deep layer of vermiculite insulation so any water that would drop on to that wouldn't make any noise.

I thought it was coming from the chimney so I've had cowls installed, but this hasn't fixed the issue.

I can feel the vibration of the drip when I put my hand on the ceiling. It's only in the back bedroom, I can't hear the drip in the front bedroom or when I'm in the loft.

I've had a roofing company inspect the roof and there were a couple of broken slates that they replaced but this hasn't fix the issue either. The gutters and downpipes are all in good condition and running well.

I'm lost as to what to do next!!!??

Sponsored Links
Yeah, and I can't hear it when I'm in the loft. I can't see any damp areas either.

Have you got a gas fire? could it be rain dripping down the chimney onto that after being blown through the cowl?

Sponsored Links
We here rain dripping onto the chimney cowl, in heavy rain, down in the living room where the gas fire is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back