Dripping Tap - Can't get tap off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We've got a dripping tap - hot water (so left hand side). There's a space at the back of the tap for what looks to be an allen key but none of the keys are turning it in a way which I can get the tap off.

Unfortunately I think we might be looking at a replacement tap. I want to avoid soldering copper if possible.

Currently - as you can see from the photos - we've got cooper tap for hot then copper tap for cold which also connects down to the isolation for the dishwasher.

Any thoughts on how best to replace the tap if I need to go down that route? Presumably it means cutting the pipes - is there a connector I can use to connect the copper pipe to the Flexi hose for the tap?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220821_090455444.jpg
    PXL_20220821_090455444.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20220821_090522598.jpg
    PXL_20220821_090522598.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
You have to remove the caps at the end of the tap then undo the Phillips screw behind them. You then remove the tap handle and you can then simply unscrew the cartridge.

Or undo the handles and there will be a grub screw revealed in the socket they screw into.

You have to remove the caps at the end of the tap then undo the Phillips screw behind them. You then remove the tap handle and you can then simply unscrew the cartridge.
Thanks. Have got the handle off but there are no caps at the end of the tap. There's space for an allen key underneath but it's not getting the tap off. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 16610716423488690468538943739061.jpg
    16610716423488690468538943739061.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Looks like a Bristan easyfit, you're supposed to undo the two grub screws at the back of the tap to remove the tap body from its mounting plate.
Trouble is, installers never grease the grubscrews when they fit the taps, which makes removal difficult.

As said above, if you just need a cartridge, they can be replaced without removing whole tap.

Or undo the handles and there will be a grub screw revealed in the socket they screw into.
Thanks - see photo above. I've got part of the handle off but the remainder won't come off unfortunately.

Either that brass spindle unscrews and has a grub screw below or the cap on the left hand side comes of to reveal a screw.

Looks like a Bristan easyfit, you're supposed to undo the two grub screws at the back of the tap to remove the tap body from its mounting plate.
Trouble is, installers never grease the grubscrews when they fit the taps, which makes removal difficult.

As said above, if you just need a cartridge, they can be replaced without removing whole tap.
Thanks. Yes, I can't seem get the grub screw off underneath. None of the Allen keys seem to bite to be able to remove it.

Any other thoughts?

Either that brass spindle unscrews and has a grub screw below or the cap on the left hand side comes of to reveal a screw.
Thanks - unfortunately there's not a cap which unscrews. I'll have another go at removing the brass spindle.

The one in my picture was a prise off - you can see the marks I made! The one I had before that had screw off caps. The ends of the taps ( not the levers) HAS to come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back