Drive Gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice please. I in the process of buildng some new garden/drive gates and considerng using mortice and tennon joints. My main problem is I only have a limited tool box and need some help in making the mortice hole?

Any help greatly appreciate

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Firstly I'm no carpenter, but have recently been doing the same for window frames....
I can recommend the following, for the morices make sure you have decent chisels (of appropriate sizes), when i say decent, the most important is SHARP (blunt chisels are neither use, nor ornament)!!!, Stanley do a good set which includes a guide and oils stone. Irwin also do some good ones, both in sets and individually. B&Q (Magnessun, or something like that), do small sets at a resonable price.
I would also recommend a morticing gauge to mark out both the mortices and the tenons. Also a sharp tenon saw, and don't force it when cutting, keep it smooth, that way it won't twist or go off line.

Tenons seem to work best if they're 1/3 the thinkness of the timber. :idea: if you always mark from the same side (usually the front) - i find the finnished joint looks better, and morelikely to be flush when put together.

When chiselling out the mortices, mark accross the grain with a stanley knife so it doesn't split the grain and splinter. if the mortices are of a decent size you can use a spade/flat bit to drill out most of the waste - which males the chiselling easier. If you carefully chisel down about 5mm, starting from the middle working out towards the line you should also get a neater edge to the mortice.
Don't be tempteed to take out too much at once, you'll find it longer, but neater. If you end up with too looser fit cut some small wedges to tighten it up.

I found to start also that spending an afternoon butchering scrap wood for target practice was very helpful and cheaper in the longrun ;)

I'm sure there are loads of people here who can offer more experience, and (hopefully) would agree :)

I guess I've left myself open to being put right here, but am more than happy to be corrected on the basis of improoving my own skills :)

Thanks for that at least it gives me a starting point. As I need to go all the through with the mortice should I drill through first?

Sponsored Links
You don't have to, but if you drill out first there's less to have to chisel out, don't be tempted to try and drill out the whole lot, or go right to the endges though!!! 3/4's drilled out is more than plenty.

had you thought about making the mortices blind? (not all the way). might look better on a gate?? same way, just put a bit of tape round the spade bit so you know how far to drill, chisel out and square off the bottom, then make the tenons shorter......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back