Drive through attached garage - copy front structure? (PICS)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Images added 200115]

I have a 1970s bungalow on a long, narrow plot which has no access down either side, so I can't drive cars around the house to park in the rear garden. The house has an attached single garage 9' wide, with a standard 8' door and windows above that all the way up (11' total height) to the existing 9" lintel and wall plate and my plan is to knock out the back of the garage to make it a drive through. Basically it will become a car port which will have doors at either end.

The front of the garage looks like it has no brickwork at all. All I can see is the garage door with windows above it, all the way up to the lintel which is tied into the inner block wall.

streetview.jpg

IMG_20150119_193412.jpg

IMG_20150119_192612.jpg

IMG_20150119_193246.jpg

Am I right in saying that all of the roof load is being carried by the inner block wall? The only load the outer wall takes would be in supporting the woodwork (soffit, fascia, guttering, etc.)?

The back of the garage is currently double skin, so if I'm correct and the outer brickwork is not load bearing, then I would be putting a lintel in the inner block wall and completely removing the brick wall? I could support the soffit, etc. either off the block wall or using angle steel between the brick piers either side of the door opening?

I phoned to have a chat with a building control officer from my local council and we both agreed that if I copy the design at the front of the garage (i.e. same 9" lintel size, same bearing length) and go for the "best pre-stressed lintel I can afford-sorta-thing" then it will be the same if not better than the original 1970s design.

Apparently, I need to submit a Building Notice Application, pay a £60 fee and then I'm good to go. Is that it?

I'm happy enough with supporting and taking the wall down - I'm just concerned that what I'm putting up there to support the roof is going to do the job.

Sponsored Links
Ok - maybe I wasn't so clear on my question. At the minute, there's a 7" lintel up there over an 8' wide door. It's supporting one side of the roof. If I knock out the back of the garage and stick a 9", pre-tensioned lintel over the gap, would that work ok? In theory it would be over-spec'd?

It will leave one freestanding wall which is about 11' tall up to eaves height - is there any chance it would topple over under some sort of side load?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back