Driveway costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a drive about 65m² (incl 1 manhole) that I want block paved.

I am looking at marshalls drivesett tegula blocks.

I have got 4 quotes and they come up as follows

£8k - very very quick look, did not measure up
£5.5k - didn't get a good feel for the person
£7k - measured was professional
£4300 - paced out and was spot on with his area guess

My question is does £4300 seem to good to be true or are the others expensive? Any ideas?

Ironically, the £4300 firm was one I was most impressed with on meeting in terms of the guy seeming to know what he was on about (and that was before I knew the price!).

One offered concrete mix for the sub-base and the others were crushed MOT type2.

[Current drive is half concrete / half crazy paving]

Sponsored Links
We are having ours done at the moment , similar area same blocks no manhole for roughly same price. Firm who did a neighbours 5 years ago. Was roughly mid quote of a few. Looking fwd to rain stopping so they can finish!

View media item 78180

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

rjm2k, you mean price was around £4300?

noseall, the cheapest quote, the guy cam round in a car to quote, I've seen there board up on a drive they had done, they are marshalls listed, ltd company been around since 80s. The £7000 was a Nissan Pathfinder type vehicle, neat and tidy, but has done a number of jobs I have seen in the local area! The 8k did our patio and did a reasonable job. The £5.5k was passing trader(s) who was leafleting.

I want the job done properly and I'm not looking for false economies, it's just a shame I preferred the cheapest one the most (before the price came into it).

Tegula is permeable

Yes 4.3

I think the lowest quote was 3.7 and highest 4.7

Just measured on Google earth at around 54sq m

Also whats the opinion on sub-base being MOT type 2 vs MOT type2 mixed with cement?

One thought it needed to flex and the other thought it need to be rigid like footings to a house?

Also whats the opinion on sub-base being MOT type 2 vs MOT type2 mixed with cement?

One thought it needed to flex and the other thought it need to be rigid like footings to a house?
A mesh reinforced concrete sub-base with drainage holes, covered with fabric and then screeded as normal is suitable for a non-permeable surface but I'm not sure if they are specified with permeable ones. I've only seen that done with normal, if slightly dry, concrete and not cement mixed with MOT type 2 though. For a standard non-permeable with soakaway drive I would always opt for a reinforced solid base as they won't sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back