Driveway lighting - 240v or 12v?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am in the process of designing a new driveway. I would like to have some low-level LED lighting on the walls either side of the drive (not in the surface of the drive). A builder will be doing all the (non-electrical) work.

It seems I have two choices:
1. Get an electrician to run 240v as required around the driveway.
2. Get the builder to include conduit/trunking to the relevant points which will terminate in the garage near to a standard 13 amp 3-pin socket (on the garage circuit which is RCD protected). I will then install 12v cabling and lights after he has finished, with the transformer in the garage connected to the socket.

For the 12v system I am thinking of something like this:
http://techmaruk.co.uk/
http://techmaruk.co.uk/deimos-1200-0.html

Now the benefit of the 12v system is that it does not need to be installed by an electrician, or notified etc etc, so will be cheaper for me. To me it makes more sense to have a single 12v transformer than to go to the effort of running 240v and then having a transformer/driver for every light.

Does anyone have any strong opinions either way?

TIA
Kevin

Sponsored Links
If you are using LEDs than the ELV ( 12 or 24 volt ) is the better option. Strictly speaking it may have to be notified ( some LABC consider ALL external electrical work is notifiable )

Voltage drop may be a problem along a long drive so do not skimp on size of cables.

I would use a wound transformer to provide the 12 or 24 volt AC and have individual LED drivers at each location.

When planning the ducting / cabling consider any other services you may want in the future ( remote gate operator, gate intercom etc etc )

Thanks Bernard

The requirement to notify is as interesting one. As you say, technically there is no exemption for 12v lights, but in reality this means that anyone with fairy lights outside their window should have notified!

Good point about voltage drop - but I read the max is 35 metres (can't find the link) and they supply either 10m or 15m cables withe transformer. My driveway is just under 10M so shouldn't be a problem.

Good point about the future expansion.
Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
That will not be the case after April 6 as none will be.

It will be if and because it is a new circuit.

Sorry EFL I don't understand, your two statements seem to contradict each other.

Anyway, Part P, page 9, paragraph K says:

"The installation of prefabricated, "modular" systems (for example kitchen lighting systems and armoured garden cabling) linked by plug and socket connections is not notifiable provided that products are CE-marked and that any final connections in kitchens and special locations are made to existing connection units or points (possibly a 13A socket outlet)".

..which I believe covers my scenario.

Anyway, I don't want to this become a discussion on notifiable/non-notifiable, I am interested in people's views on the merits of the two systems.

After April 6 exterior power and lighting will no longer, as such, be notifiable.

However, new circuits will still be notifiable.

So, it will be notifiable if and because it is a new circuit - not because it is outside.

The definition of a circuit is 'equipment originating from and protected by the same overcurrent protective device'.
We wonder if the legislators know that.

It's not supposed to make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back