Driveway problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had some really good advice from diynot so I'm hoping someone can help me again.
A couple of years ago I had a block paved drive installed by a local company. It wasn't the cheapest but it was a competitive quote, and was really happy with the work. However, approx 9months ago i began having problems with damp in the living room. Had repointing done but it's not worked.
The driveway slopes downwards as it runs alongside the exterior of the living room wall. Being totally ignorant, I didn't notice initially but a section of the drive (which corresponds to where the damp is inside) totally covers the DPC.
The level of the ground previously was high anyway but was below the DPC. I appreciate digging/excavating out would have added thousands to the job but should they have installed drainage channels rather than taking the drive upto the house and thus covering the DPC in sections?

I wonder now where I stand with the company in terms of getting it fixed? I'm guessing I don't have a leg to stand in since I didn't notice straight away?

I will try and include photos shortly which probably better illustrates the problem.

Complaining aside, does anyone have any idea as to how the problem should be fixed now as it needs doing as I have tenants in the house and don't want them to have to live with damp and mould.
I'm in Birmingham so if anyone can recommend a trusted builder I would be massively grateful (if that's allowed in this forum?).

Thank you in advance
Jay

Sponsored Links
hi, I've included a few pics of the problem area. Picture 1 shows where the DPC goes under the driveway, just where you can see the slate poking above the block paving..picture 2 is a close up of this.

the next two photos show the damp on the interior living room wall and the suspect area on the outside that corresponds to the damp.

the final picture show the air brick. When he built the driveway, this hole was full of gravel as he said this helped to aerate? I removed the gravel myself and cemented bricks around the edge of the gap.

He came back out today and has suggested he remove the inner row of blue blocks closest to the house, between the two air bricks, dig down below the DPC level and then cover with gravel to just below the DPC.

Do you think this would be adequate.

Sponsored Links
When he built the driveway, this hole was full of gravel as he said this helped to aerate?
20137d1396425517-que-jpg

He came back out today and has suggested he remove the inner row of blue blocks closest to the house, between the two air bricks, dig down below the DPC level and then cover with gravel to just below the DPC.
He has a thing about gravel, doesn't he.

Is there a fall across the driveway, away from the house? If not I'd be worried that runoff would be too much for the channel and would get in through the air bricks.

What sort of soil do you have?

He does seem to have a thing for gravel but it's hard to argue a different point as I don't have a clue. Not sure about soil to be honest?
The drive does have downward slope and water doesn't gather in the air brick trench as the bricks divert running water around the trench. No more gets into the brick compared to how it would should they be above ground level

He does seem to have a thing for gravel but it's hard to argue a different point as I don't have a clue.
IMO it's hard to argue that putting a pile of gravel in front of an air brick will make it work better.

With a trench like he proposes it's a useful decorative feature, possibly a useful safety one, and will make it easier for cats to poo there.

Not sure about soil to be honest?
So what will happen to any water which gets into the trench? Will it act as a drain or a pond?

The drive does have downward slope
But what about across it?

and water doesn't gather in the air brick trench as the bricks divert running water around the trench.
Does he propose to put an upstand along the line of the lighter pavers?

Trouble is that's all going to look rather bitty. With no idea about a lateral fall, or how well the soil drains, I'd be tempted to have a trench drain running from the corner of the original house to the step, and then carrying on through a pipe under the step and the rest of the drive and connecting to the rainwater downpipe at the back.

Sorry, my mistake, there is a slight lateral fall away from the house fortunately.
The soil on the drive prior to having it blocked did drain well.
I like the idea of the trench drain. He fitted those at the bottom where the drive flattens out towards the garage

The main bit that concerns me is the corner by the retaining wall.
The DPC goes quite deeply below the driveway the comes above ground as it moves down. It's this corner where the worst damp and mould inside is.
Aside from digging up and stepping the drive here, not sure what can be done.

Baffled and worried doesn't even come close!!

Ps he did say he would support the pavers that would be left loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back