Driveway Sub base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a drive built at my house and I have to fill the area to raise the driveway. So far, I have had 2 skips of rubble dropped. The house side is ok now, but the road side still needs to be raised a foot or so. Hardcore seems to be a very expensive option, the cheapest I can get is £28 a ton and I need 8-10. The guy who is paving the drive, suggested soil, instead of more rubble. I didn't go in detail of why. But he seems to think, that the soil won't sit in future, as there is rubble underneath.
Does his suggestion make sense?
Or would rubble be better option?
Or should I get actual hardcore?

I do plan on putting a few tones of hardcore, once the drive has been raised a bit more.

Sponsored Links
As long as the rubble is good quality, ie no combustible material or other polluting material, eg gypsum, timber, composting material, you can fill up to about 150mm below your required level.
Top it all off with 150mm hardcore.

Don't forget you should be whacking it each 150mm, rubble and/or hardcore

If you wanted a cheap material for granular infill in the larger voids, prior to topping with something like MOT type 1, try quarry waste. It's 0-4mm and cheap.

As RH has said you need assurances that the hard core is sulphate free.

Otherwise bite the bullet and buy in m.o.t. type 1 and have peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
As RH has said you need assurances that the hard core is sulphate free.

Otherwise bite the bullet and buy in m.o.t. type 1 and have peace of mind.

Do you have any experience with recycled hardcore? Is that any good? It would be broken down to 40mm.

Hardcore seems to be a very expensive option, the cheapest I can get is £28 a ton and I need 8-10.

You can get a grab bag of MOT1 from Jewson's for £28+vat. Try a local merchant for a price on a full 10 tonne load loose direct from the quarry you should be looking at £15 - £16 a tonne +vat I reckon. ;)

Cheapest I'm quoted is.

£21 + Vat for 10 Tonnes

But recycled 6F2 Crushed Brick and concrete is half price?

Is it worth going for the recycled stuff?

A quick reference to this link shows that 6F5 is 100mm-75mm crushed hardcore, 6F2 is 75mm down to dust.
http://www.recycled-aggregates.co.uk/6f2.html

I would suggest, for your application, ie the driveway, 6F2 might suffice with perhaps a thin layer (100 - 50mm'ish) of MOT Type 1 to take up any hollows/voids.

Check with whoever is laying the top surface first.

In a situation where a sand blinding and DPM was to be installed, I'd suggest finishing with 150mm of MOT Type 1.

Don't forget to whack each 150mm'ish layer.

A more detailed spec of the materials are here:
http://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/mchw/vol1/pdfs/series_0600.pdf

Table 6.1 Pages 38 & 41

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back