Driveway uplighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I am going to have uplighters installed in my driveway. The driveway will be a concrete base with a tarmac covering.

The electric work will be undertaken by a local qualified electrician.

I would appreciate advice on a reputable brand of uplighter and bezel. I am looking for a stainless bezel.

The unit needs to be the driveover type and I want the bulbs to be replaceable. I do not need a dimmable item

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am going to have uplighters installed in my driveway.
Why?

I would appreciate advice on a reputable brand of uplighter and bezel. I am looking for a stainless bezel.
I'd suggest sticking to companies who make lights designed for public spaces, e.g. Thorn, Philips, rather than anything made for the domestic market.

Ban all sheds,

Thanks for the response.

I want uplighters in my driveway because I want them. A bit like if I want an ice cream.

Thanks for the advice on public spaces lighting. Cheers

Fair enough - I did wonder if you might want them to do something useful.

Sponsored Links
Being pleasing to the eye is useful, is it not?
Indeed :)

I think the problem may relate to describing them as 'uplighters'. Unless there are trees or suchlike above, or close to, the drive, they will illuminate nothing much other than the clouds and distant planets! It is probably best to describe them as 'ground lights' (per TTC's link) - I suppose somewhat analogous to the likes of 'runway lights' - designed 'to be seen', but not to illuminate anything.

Kind Regards, John

All fair comments people and thanks for the debate, the recomendation of Collingwood was also provided by my electrician so the recommendation above gives me more confidence

Maybe I should have said "I did wonder if you might want them to do something functional."
I suspect that the OP does want that, his desired 'function' being an aesthetic one.

I doubt that he needs 'runway lights' in order to be able to find his drive :)

Kind Regards, John

The driveway will be a concrete base with a tarmac covering.
With the disclaimer that IHANI about relative prices, if what you're after is something decorative, you might like to consider resin-bound glass instead of tarmac, as you could bury LED rope lights in that, to light up sections - maybe a geometric pattern, your initials, whatever. Or a mix of resin-bound gravel and glass, with glass for the pattern.

I suspect that the OP does want that, his desired 'function' being an aesthetic one.
If you think it would be of value to the topic, I can keep trying alternatives for "useful" and "functional", and you and secure can continue picking away at them.

Or alternatively you could pack it in, on the grounds that you know full well what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back