Driving style and fuel ecoonomy experiment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of doing a little experiment:
I'm going to note my current fuel economy, then I'm going to change my driving style for a couple of weeks and see how much less fuel I use.
Anyone else interested in trying it?
You probably need a car which displays the fuel economy stats to make it easier.

The changes I'm making are:
- Don't accelerate sharply.
- Don't drive fast.
- Look ahead for traffic stopping and release accelerator to coast to a stop.
- Move to 3/4th gear a little bit sooner to prevent high revs

In general gradual acceleration and release the accelerator as soon as possible will do it I think.

Sponsored Links
I'll be interested to hear the results of this. One thing i have been wondering about my driving style (and this is something driving instructors teach you) . . . does using the engine to slow down use a lot of fuel? I quite often use the engine to slow the car down, and press the clutch down only when the revs get down to 1000. It limits wear on the brake pads and discs, but i'll bet you're not actually saving any money - brake pads and discs are cheap, petrol / diesel isn't!!!! :rolleyes:

JamesA said:
Anyone else interested in trying it?
Yes, I've done it by driving very lighty, pulling away gently and lightly touch the brake, take a while to get used to it.

Normal driving 44mpg around town,

Sensible driving 53 mpg :eek:

Sponsored Links
I have just changed cars from a 2.5V6 to 1.6. I used to get 18mpg, first month new car same driving style 33mpg. Plus insurance £300 less & road tax cheaper. But its not as much fun to drive.

You would really notice if you had a turbo but what would be the point of having a turbo and then not using it? Better to buy the non turbo. You could also try fitting a governor to your engine to prevent the revs from rising too high. But that's no fun either. Diesel car magazine has been giving readers tips to economise for years. The best way to reduce fuel consumption is to walk. :LOL:

At the end its risen to 37.1 mpg, a 6.6% rise.
This would be a saving of £115.50 a year, potentially a lot more if the prices keep going up...

Top speed will also have a great deal to do with it also, i have a 1.9 TDi Skoda Octavia, if i dont exceed 65 MPH and use cruise control as much as possible then i can get 65+ MPG on a 40 mile trip to work, driving at 70, but same style of driving this goes down to 60 MPG & at 75 Mph it drops to 55 MPG (all figures are taken from the onboard computer)

crafty1289 said:
I quite often use the engine to slow the car down, and press the clutch down only when the revs get down to 1000. It limits wear on the brake pads and discs, but i'll bet you're not actually saving any money - brake pads and discs are cheap, petrol / diesel isn't!!!! :rolleyes:

You are transfering the wear onto the clutch plates and possibly the gearbox, which are more expensive than brake components...

I tend to change down as I brake (unless I'm feeling lazy then I'll just clutch down before it starts to stall in whatever gear I'm in)

Sponsored Links
Back