Driving to France

Lots of great ideas, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Probably makes sense to take the train if you're going to one place, but we want to be in explore mode and just see what's out there.

Sponsored Links
Is getting close to the Alps doable in 4-5 days, without spending too much time in the car?
I drive to the alps to ski. It's about 8 hours from Calais, easily doable in 1 day, so obviously doable having city hopped to get there. There and back will cost about £200 in tolls unless you avoid the autoroute. (There are actually long stretches of the 'toll' roads you could use for free, but needs planning. I don't!)

You could plan to do the trip to the alps first 2 days, then meander back up to Calais to return. The incentive then is to go all the way down in on day, mooch around the mountains and relax the driving coming back.

Probably won't bother with alps idea. Just thought it would be nice for the kids to see some mountains.

And I didn't realise tolls are so expensive.

Any tips on satnav? I only use my phone at the moment, wondering if I should buy a satnav for the car?

I use my phone with Google maps and generally have it set to avoid toll roads and its been fine, all my data is included in my contract so it costs me no extra.

Yeah, I like my Google Maps. I know you can download regions, and GPS is apparently no data, so might test this and see how it goes.
And get the kids and wife to also download half of France.

No idea about using phones in France either - between us we have EE, Vodafone and Giffgaff.

I use my phone with Google maps and generally have it set to avoid toll roads and it’s been fine, all my data is included in my contract so it costs me no extra.
If you don’t have any data in your plan, you can download Google maps to your phone and then you don’t need any data. I think it’s a bit quicker too.

Probably won't bother with alps idea. Just thought it would be nice for the kids to see some mountains.

And I didn't realise tolls are so expensive.

Any tips on satnav? I only use my phone at the moment, wondering if I should buy a satnav for the car?

Android phone here and, provided you have a tariff that works abroad (for a price you are willing to pay: in my case, free abroad), Google Maps is absolutely spot on.

Check before anyone (kids especially!) connect to the ferry WiFi.

Tempting for the little buggers, as they're out of range for normal service.

Think it cost about a tenner an hour, for a chunk of the five hour crossing........

Also, might be worth loading up a separate (from your phone, which you'll be using for Maps) device with music, as we found French radio to be patchy in reception, pretty dire in terms of musical quality, and obviously in French! So talk radio was no good for us..........

There and back will cost about £200 in tolls unless you avoid the autoroute. (There are actually long stretches of the 'toll' roads you could use for free, but needs planning. I don't!)

That's a lot of money. Didn't realise it's so much. Like a whole year's road tax in UK, for just a couple of long trips in France. Does anyone know if you can program a Tomtom satnav to avoid tolls?

Sponsored Links
Back