Driving to France

Probably won't bother with alps idea. Just thought it would be nice for the kids to see some mountains.

And I didn't realise tolls are so expensive.

Any tips on satnav? I only use my phone at the moment, wondering if I should buy a satnav for the car?
As said, use your phone. It will even show you traffic hot-spots (red or amber striping depending on congestion severity). Just make sure you have a power tether and cradle, as your battery will run down quicker than usual.

Sponsored Links
That's a lot of money. Didn't realise it's so much. Like a whole year's road tax in UK, for just a couple of long trips in France. Does anyone know if you can program a Tomtom satnav to avoid tolls?
Yeah, all of them can do that. Just takes a bit longer. Normally more picturesque and great if you have the time. Dover to La Rochelle with and without tolls:

AB09A821-AAAD-4200-9269-756CD6151DDF.png

922441D1-047A-4C7C-A492-AEA460BEAE09.png

La Rochelle, then hug the west coast until you get to the Pyrenees. Good surfing in Biarritz and they can try paragliding in the mountains.

Sponsored Links
Ah La Rochelle, Rochelle: “a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk”. :p

Theres a ferry from Poole that gets you into St Malo and a short drive to historic towns in the north west, Dinard, Dinan etc iirc. A good ww2 museum in Caen.

There is a good fast train Paris to Bordeaux and on to Biarritz for a mix of culture and coastal activities. A few days in Paris can break the journey, with plenty to see.

The French trains are incredible, arrive and leave on time, they even stop in the station against markings on the platform for each carriage.

Blup

The islands and lakes are also worth a visit too. However, I would not expect this to be a low cost holiday. I think you might find greek islands cheaper once you factor in entertainment and food. KOS, Corfu etc

Just checked.

Brittany Ferries.

Portsmouth to Caen, and return.

First two weeks in June - wed to wed

2 x adults, and 2 x kids

Normal ICE car i.e. not a gigantic Merc GL

Mont-St-Michel ferry (a nice boat).

Economy class - fine.

£289 all in :cool:

We drove to Interlaken a few years back. Stopped over in Paris and stayed just outside on the SE side overnight. Didn't touch a toll road to Interlaken - not for reasons of cost necessarily, we just thought we'd take it easy and do the more scenic route. Surprised to get there is very good time, no problem at all. Switzerland - in the mountains - is absolutely fantastic in the Summer. A rail ticket gets you every single train, funicular, cable car, the lot - except the big one, the Schilthorn, you have to pay extra for that. You can get all around the mountains in every direction. Fabulous views of the meadows and wild flowers.

• Clean air sticker: You need a Crit'Air sticker displayed on your car when travelling to certain cities. It costs £3.60 and drivers face an on-the-spot fine of almost £120 if they don’t have one.

For the (fiver?) it'll cost to get one, which lasts until your windscreen goes through, why risk it?

IIRC, only towns anyway.

Thanks, but I'm not worried about the cost. Just not clued up about this scheme as it's been introduced since I last drove there. As my van is a filthy, soot-emitting antique, I'm assuming this bars entry to certain towns and cities at certain times? Even with a sticker?

Sponsored Links
Back