Driving to France

If you avoid the Toll roads, you'll really see France. The Route Nationals are lovely. The exception is around Bordeaux, where traffic can be heavy and the 10er fee is worth it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I'm not worried about the cost. Just not clued up about this scheme as it's been introduced since I last drove there. As my van is a filthy, soot-emitting antique, I'm assuming this bars entry to certain towns and cities at certain times? Even with a sticker?

Possibly; just follow the signs as per the linked guide.

Has anybody managed to get one of these stickers? I completed the form and everything seemed be OK, right through to trying to pay, but then got a message saying in effect there's a problem, apologies, try again in 24 hours. Link below if it helps.
Crit air appn

Yeah, all of them can do that. Just takes a bit longer. Normally more picturesque and great if you have the time. Dover to La Rochelle with and without tolls:

View attachment 297244

View attachment 297245
I thoroughly recommend Charente Maritime region where La Rochelle is: it has a micro climate so tends to be warm and Sunny like the South, but without the high prices and long journey.

Lovely towns like Cognac, although not sure teenage boys would be interested.

Sponsored Links
Has anybody managed to get one of these stickers? I completed the form and everything seemed be OK, right through to trying to pay, but then got a message saying in effect there's a problem, apologies, try again in 24 hours. Link below if it helps.
Crit air appn

I did in 2018, no issues at all.
If you go through the official site - linked in one of my previous posts - should be ok too (internet issues notwithstanding).

Do you have any Tesco Clubcard vouchers? I've just booked return P&O Dover to Calais for the summer and it cost me a grand total of £6.50 as I used my Tesco vouchers. It gives you 3 times the amount.

Much prefer the ferry as it gives you a break and in the summer the sea is calm and you can sit outside.
I prefer the Dover- Claais route as it is just enough time to give you a break. The ones further down the coast to Dieppe, Caen, etc take too long and are more expensive as you'l probably want a cabin too. Forget that.

I would do Dover-Calais and then drive. You could go along coast. Some great Word War 2 museums and bunkers and then continue along to the Mont St Michel.
Then down the coast to Brittany.
Some good campsites along the atlantic coast with pools, kids clubs, etc.

Do you have any Tesco Clubcard vouchers? I've just booked return P&O Dover to Calais for the summer and it cost me a grand total of £6.50 as I used my Tesco vouchers. It gives you 3 times the amount.

Much prefer the ferry as it gives you a break and in the summer the sea is calm and you can sit outside.
I prefer the Dover- Claais route as it is just enough time to give you a break. The ones further down the coast to Dieppe, Caen, etc take too long and are more expensive as you'l probably want a cabin too. Forget that.

I would do Dover-Calais and then drive. You could go along coast. Some great Word War 2 museums and bunkers and then continue along to the Mont St Michel.
Do you have to book a set time, or is it just an anytime ticket you get?

£267.00 ferry for convenient times. Might just do that instead.

Yes, they are longer routes, but I for one appreciated the 5 hrs not driving, breaking up the 3 hrs in UK, then 6 hrs in France.

Yes, they are more expensive, but they do knock 100+ miles off, and I was happy to pay the extra, for the avoidance of Dover-Calais / longer rest / shorter drive.
Each to their own though.

No need for a cabin; the lounges etc on the crossing - on the Brittany Ferries one I went on, anyway - were plenty good enough.

I thoroughly recommend Charente Maritime region where La Rochelle is: it has a micro climate so tends to be warm and Sunny like the South, but without the high prices and long journey.
We drove there in 2006. Stayed around that area and in La Rochelle and Ile de Re. They have donkeys there that wear pyjamas because of the gnats biting them! Some great seafood restaurants in that area.

Do you have to book a set time, or is it just an anytime ticket you get?

All I did was look up the times on the P&O website.
Went into my Tesco Clubcard app and then reward partners and changed my Tesco vouchers to P&O.
Within about 15 minutes several codes had appeared in the app. Gives you 3 times the amount.
You phone up P&O and say you want to make a booking using Tesco clubcard rewards and they do it for you.
Obviously if your vouchers don't cover it all, you pay the extra.
You''ll be given your booking ref number. You then e-mail the booking ref with your codes to P&O.
Job done.
NOTE: The only thing is it has to be a standard ticket. So it can't be a flexi ticket. So basically if you can't make it or cancel then bad luck, you cant get it back.

I did in 2018, no issues at all.
If you go through the official site - linked in one of my previous posts - should be ok too (internet issues notwithstanding).
Good to hear it sometimes works! I'll just keep trying. Same website so that's not the issue.

Booked P&O Ferry from Dover. £338 - I paid for the fully flexible, because we can be disorganised! Plus, traffic unknowns.

Now need to book somewhere to sleep ...

Good to hear it sometimes works! I'll just keep trying. Same website so that's not the issue.
In case anybody else is having a problem - I used "contact" on the site to say there's a problem. They came back with a link, same link I believe but this time it worked OK. Cost £4.08, which isn't a bad rate for €4.61. Haven't received the sticker yet.

In case anybody else is having a problem - I used "contact" on the site to say there's a problem. They came back with a link, same link I believe but this time it worked OK. Cost £4.08, which isn't a bad rate for €4.61. Haven't received the sticker yet.

Don't stick it to your windscreen until late on; if your windscreen cracks and is replaced, you can't unpeel the sticker.

Unlikely yes, but I believe in Sod's Law (y)

Sponsored Links
Back