Driving to France

Trying to remember, but I don't think with mine the sticker came off with the plastic backing. Perhaps I was doing something wrong. Did you end up with just a circular disc, or in a square like mine below?

Mine is a square.
Applied mid-2018.
Still there (y)

Sponsored Links
Trying to remember, but I don't think with mine the sticker came off with the plastic backing. Perhaps I was doing something wrong. Did you end up with just a circular disc, or in a square like mine below?
Circular. The circular disc will pull off the square one. I have experience of such passes as our annual parking discs for our country park that we visit uses the same method. FWIW, nobody checked it although when entering the hotel location into Google maps, it warns you that you are entering a low emission zone.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Interesting. I too have a purple Crit air sticker with a number 1 on it yet this says a '1' sticker is for a plug in/hybrid vehicle. Mine isn’t! Just a petrol engine. I didn’t day it was - I just sent off a copy of my V5. Strange. Oh, and looking at that list it doesnt say one is needed in Rouen so I could have got away without one. :ROFLMAO:

Edit. Elsewhere it says I do need one. It’s all a bit confusing?

Last edited:
Interesting. I too have a purple Crit air sticker with a number 1 on it yet this says a '1' sticker is for a plug in/hybrid vehicle. Mine isn’t! Just a petrol engine. I didn’t day it was - I just sent off a copy of my V5. Strange. Oh, and looking at that list it doesn't say one is needed in Rouen so I could have got away without one. :ROFLMAO:
Mine's petrol too. I just entered the vehicle details and the site came up with the category. Don't remember a problem.

Edit - had another look at the Critair site and it says Category 1, purple, All gas vehicles and all plug-in hybrid vehicles

Last edited:
Probably a daft question, but can't find any details on internet or in the docs I've been sent ...

When driving to either Calais or Dover to get your ferry, is it obviously where you need to go? I see messages saying "get in the correct lane or else!" but nowhere I can find how we know what the correct lane is.

Hopefully obvious when I get there....

And, are there 2 checks, or just one? Eg first desk is that just to check you have a ticket for the next boat, and then the next desk is to check passports etc? Or is it all at the first one then a s3nd French check before you get to the boat?

Short answer: yes, it's pretty obvious. I haven't used the ferry since converting to the Tunnel, but I'd expect to be checked into the port property, then passport control and security* before going into the boat waiting area.

* Be ready to 'enter France' after this, cos that's what happens at the tunnel, not sure in Dover.

Probably a daft question, but can't find any details on internet or in the docs I've been sent ...

When driving to either Calais or Dover to get your ferry, is it obviously where you need to go? I see messages saying "get in the correct lane or else!" but nowhere I can find how we know what the correct lane is.

Hopefully obvious when I get there....

And, are there 2 checks, or just one? Eg first desk is that just to check you have a ticket for the next boat, and then the next desk is to check passports etc? Or is it all at the first one then a s3nd French check before you get to the boat?
A basic thing, if you haven't used Dover before - when coming from the M20 you go by Western Dock. Ignore that, you (almost certainly) want the Eastern Dock. Obvious when you've done it a couple of times!
I went a few weeks ago, and first there is French passport control, took about 30 mins. Then the check-in booths are marked for your ferry operator, straightforward enough. There they check tickets and tell you the lane number.
Returning via Calais there's British passport control first. We got stuck behind a Romanian vehicle which took 40 mins to sort out and we only just got the ferry. They didn't have the wit to move it to one side while they dealt with it, and get another bod to deal with the main queue.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
It was a great success. Dover to Calais, day trips to Dunkirk & Museum Dunkerque 1940 Operation Dynamo, Cap Blanc-Nez & Wimeraux, Le Troquet & Étaples Military Cemetery, Bray Dunes & Dunkirk, with an evening walk around the local town, Guines, which seems both proud of its links with Henry VIII, as well as its liberation from same. Lots of good food, and we treated ourselves to Club Class on the new P&O ferry on the way home, which was very nice.

IMG_20230726_124110128.jpg

IMG_20230727_112935694_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back