Drop the rest of the kerb in front of driveway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have just bought a house with a double drive but only a small part of the kerb is dropped at the end. I can pull two cars on but it's a bit of a 5 point faff for one of the cars due to this limited access.

Would you recommend applying for permission to do the rest of the kerb and do you have any idea if it is likely to be approved or what the costs involved might be? Sorry first time buyer.

https://imgur.com/a/h3Ov5Cu

https://imgur.com/a/SBy3iJp

Sponsored Links
It'll vary council to council and the amount of kerbstones you want dropping along with the path width.

What is your council?

Sponsored Links
Did you find out when you bought the house if PP was obtained, if needed, for paving over the front garden?

If your road isn't a classified road (as mine isn't) you don't need planning permission. A classified road is an A or B road. My local council (Derbyshire County) and your local council (Staffordshire County) both state that. Staffordshire Moorlands are just a borough within Staffs. and have no responsibility for this job.

What county councils ask is that you use one of their "approved contractors" to do the work, as dropped kerbs are still a council responsibility. You'll likely find they charge non-competitive rates to do it as they have the monopoly. You can use your own contractor through a "opening up notice for highways" application, but I don't know how successful these are.

I bought my house two years ago and one of the first jobs was the drive. There was no way I was paying the council £995 for a dropped kerb so I asked the driveway firm to do it and they priced it separately at £240. He has Public Liability insurance set at £10 mil. which is a pre-requisite for a council approving a dropped kerb installation.

Original owner may have had permission for 1 car. The neighbour opposite my old house only had permission for 1 vehicle, although he did park 2.

Maybe in the world of BAS, but in reality it's not. I took this originally from speaking to the council but it can be seen on both Derbys. and Staffs. County Council websites.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 19.14.13.png

There's no mention of "extensive works" or the OP being in a "conservation area", so please explain to me how I am - as you so bluntly put it - "wrong".

Maybe in the world of BAS, but in reality it's not.
Ah - that will be the world in which people read things properly.

There's no mention of "extensive works" or the OP being in a "conservation area", so please explain to me how I am - as you so bluntly put it - "wrong".
Because I wasn't talking about PP for the dropped kerb.

Did you find out when you bought the house if PP was obtained, if needed, for paving over the front garden?
So you can't have been (correctly) replying wrt PP for something else.

How?

By asking someone who has recently bought his house if he knows if PP had been obtained for something if it was needed?

You're not very good at this, are you.

MOD: But you on the other hand are a master of being banned from further replies.

I hope the rest of us were helpful to @Radam87!

OP -- my advice is to speak to the council for definite confirmation, but experience tells me it's very unlikely you'll need any permission for an extension to an existing dropped kerb if you're not on a classified road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back