Dropping a kerb

Break the existing kerbstone(s) and ask the council to replace and say 'as your doing the job anyway can you just....' ;)

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Break the existing kerbstone(s) and ask the council to replace and say 'as your doing the job anyway can you just....' ;)

Certainly Sir..............that'll be £1000 + another £500 emergency callout and licencing :p

... plus goodness-knows-how-much for damaging council property ;) ...

AFAIK, south tyneside council give you 2 choices: apply for premission and pay them to do it or apply for permission, arrange a date for it to be done, and they come and inspect during the work, wether you do it or a contractor

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
AFAIK, south tyneside council give you 2 choices: apply for premission and pay them to do it or apply for permission, arrange a date for it to be done, and they come and inspect during the work, wether you do it or a contractor

So how come the Mackems have a sensible approach to this, while those of us blessed with being on the right side of the river have to pay through the nose?

Anyway - the order's in - just got to wait for the work to be done now :mad:

hi there..reading all your thoughts here.. i too am looking for a drop curb on my front of house..and it will cost me around £600.00... but i have to use any of the listed/accredited named companies that they have listed..
i have my brother..who is a ganger / tarmac - he lays cables and repair work for the council.. he recons he can do it in 3 hours..2 guys.. at a cost of £250.00
so thats sorted.. if only.
if i can not prove to the council who did the work, should they ask... they may ask me to have it re done...?? so i have been told. at my ost of digging it up..and re doing the work.
even though my bro would do a far far better job..because he knows the right way to do it.. plus knowing it was for me, he would not cut corners.. but he would not anyway.
the whole thing sucks..its jobs for the boys..and we have to pay the cost of it.
but we have to think of the council..i guess.
as it has to be done to spec..safely..with insurance..for pedestrians and road users, with the tools / equipment usage..the workers pay,the planing,the correct type 1 or 2 stone..the correct tarmac, that needs to be heated..melted..before laying.. and then rolled..
it goes on..and on.

because the guys that do it on the council list professionally would cut corners to comprimise their work, and comprimise their minimum 10 million pound public liability insurance, and because its their pavement nit yours so they want it done by people they can trust. :rolleyes:

As Thermo has pointed out, public liability is a factor here.

Doing the job is one thing, there are many that could carry out such a menial task. But, as it is a public footpath there are other issues.

If it is a busy road then traffic control may be necessary whilst work is carried out. Also, there is a degree of liability should anyone trip over on a badly tarmac'd footpath. You would be surprised at some claims.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back