Dropped an anglegrinder on slate floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

Got a bit of a problem!

So I just plugged an angle grinder with diamond disc in to the socket and somehow the switch was down. I wasnt expecting it to turn on so I was only holding it loosely and it jumped out of my hand on to the slate floor below.

It has left a 600mm trail accross the floor before I managed to switch the power off and luckily it came to rest in a grout joint so didnt cause more damage.

Can anyone help me? The marks aren't too deep as it only skipped across, so will it be possible to maybe sand the marks out? I`m not worried about it being perfect as this is `character?` but I dont want it to be glaringly obvious..

I prefer not to start taking the (2) tiles out if I can but I am pretty sure I have some spares hidden away somewhere if it comes to it.

Many Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Can't help you re the floor but bin that machine before it gets a chance to kill someone.
Machines which have faulty switches have no place in life - just think what could have happened if someone was "watching" you

Hello Shep

2 options depending on how fussy you want to be

1. Grout in the line with the same colour grout thats there

or (preferably)

2. Replace the damaged tile(s) with the spares that you have. Use a stanley knife to score around the tile grout lines then use a hammer to break and remove the tiles. Clear away and then add even bed of adhesive so the new tiles are level with the existing floor tiles. Once dry, grout around the replaced tiles

Hello Shep

2 options depending on how fussy you want to be

1. Grout in the line with the same colour grout thats there

or (preferably)

2. Replace the damaged tile(s) with the spares that you have. Use a stanley knife to score around the tile grout lines then use a hammer to break and remove the tiles. Clear away and then add even bed of adhesive so the new tiles are level with the existing floor tiles. Once dry, grout around the replaced tiles

Hi Jibbs,

Thanks for the advice. Though I might have to replace the tiles! do you know if there is anyway of polishing or sanding the marks out of the tiles with out replacing? Im not too worried about the grout joint its not too noticeable but I will fill in with grout when I get round to it

Many Thanks,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Can't help you re the floor but bin that machine before it gets a chance to kill someone.
Machines which have faulty switches have no place in life - just think what could have happened if someone was "watching" you

Too Right! Its out already.

It lucky as the natural reaction when you drop something is to try to catch it! Luckily I manage to stop myself and went for the socket instead but nearly landed on feet or legs which wouldnt have been pretty!

I think you should try the sanding method first, if it don't look right then just replace. It's worth a go nothing to lose really.

I think you should try the sanding method first, if it don't look right then just replace. It's worth a go nothing to lose really.

The slate will no doubt look very light grey after you have sanded it. Get some slate oil from a fireplace showroom and this will recolour the ground area. Do not use alternatives such a lubricating oil or WD40 etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back